1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Center of Mass Problem

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform circular plate of radius 2R has a circular hole of radius R cut out of it. The center C' of the smaller circle is a distance 0.80R from the center C of the larger circle. What is the position of the center of mass of the plate?

2. Relevant equations

subtraction is to be used
    answer expressed in terms of R

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe integration is required to solve this, but I do not know where to begin.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2
    If anyone knows of a link they could send me that could lead me in the right direction, please let me know!
  4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    On the other hand, I believe, if you know that centre of mass of a circle is at its centre, you do NOT need to worry about integration: addition (or, 'subtraction' as the hint says) will suffice!

HINT: The portion that has been cut out, you can assume that a disc of negative mass was superimposed in that portion! (Of course, of same magnitude of uniform mass density as the first one.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?