1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Sine integral

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Any ideas for how to solve the following integral?

$$\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin{n x}\sin{x}^3 dx$$

where n is a positive integer

2. Relevant equations

Various sine and cosine identities

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't much of a clue how to solve the integral. Its an odd function times an odd function which gives an even function, over a symmetric range (at least symmetric for the Sine function or perhaps portions of the function's n-values).

I tried clearing out a sin^2 from the integral by using the double-angle formula. It didn't really break down into anything that lead to any obvious results for the integrals.

Thanks ahead of time.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I guess that this is a typo, because I don't think that you can find a closed solution for that integral. So I think you want to solve
    [tex]I=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} x \; \sin(n x) (\sin x)^3.[/tex]
    In this case it may be helpful to use
    [tex](\sin x)^3=\frac{1}{4}[3\sin x - \sin(3 x)].[/tex]

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3
    Yes that was a typo, sorry about that.

Cheers, I think I have done something like that already. I used the exponential forms for the sine functions and factored them all together. I am pretty sure that this gives that identity. In fact, it is very similar.

Once I factored together the terms, I found that only for the values of n=1 and n=3 does the integral have any value at all. Which are precisely the coefficients inside of the identity.

Though I am not completely satisfied with this answer. Because now it requires going back to the original and solving the integral for those specific values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted