Nonlinear Transformations from R to R: Meeting & Breaking Linearity Rules

In summary, to determine if a transformation from V to W is linear, two conditions must be met: for every x, y in V, T(x+y) = T(x) + T(y), and for every x in V and for every a in R (real numbers), T(ax) = aT(x). To find two nonlinear transformations from R to R, one must satisfy the first condition and violate the second, while the other must violate the first and satisfy the second. This can be achieved by examining the properties of the transformation and manipulating them to break one of the conditions while still satisfying the other.
randommacuser
We know that a transformation from V to W is linear if the following hold:
1.) For every x, y in V, T(x+y) = T(x) + T(y)
2.) For every x in V and for every a in R (real numbers), T(ax) = aT(x)

I need two nonlinear transformations from R to R. One must satisfy #1 above and violate #2. The other must violate #1 and satisfy #2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like homework, so I'm moving it there. What have you done so far on this problem?

The second one is really simple.Just take a nonlinear operator

[tex] T(x)=x^{2} [/tex]

I'll let a mathematician deal with the difficult issue.

Daniel.

EDIT:The above is wrong.I'll let a mathematician deal with the whole problem.

Last edited:
So are you claiming that T(ax) = aT(x) for your function?

Ooops,sorry,Hurkyl,didn't see it. :redface: That nasty quadratic breaks both if them...

Daniel.

I think T(u) = u + k works for #1 but not #2.

I don't know about the other one.

No, it doesn't. With that,

[tex]T(u+v) = u+v+k \neq u+v+2k = T(u) + T(v).[/tex]

Here's a hint...

Suppose T(x) satisfies #1, and that you know T(x). Then, you also know T(2x) and T(3x), right? What about T(x/2)? T(47x/163)?

PS, this is a standard method of attack, and it's a good way to learn what things "really" mean.

The whole point is to learn precisely what property #1 tells you, so you can find out what you can "break" so that property #2 fails. (and vice versa)

Data said:
No, it doesn't. With that,

[tex]T(u+v) = u+v+k \neq u+v+2k = T(u) + T(v).[/tex]

Data,

Touche! What was I thinking?

It's a mistake we all make at least once -- the trick is to catch it before you tell anybody. :smile:

1. What are "Tricky transformations"?

"Tricky transformations" refer to scientific experiments or processes that involve complex or difficult changes in matter, energy, or form.

2. What types of transformations are considered "tricky"?

Some examples of "tricky transformations" include phase changes (such as melting or evaporating), chemical reactions, and nuclear reactions.

3. How do scientists study "tricky transformations"?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques, such as measuring devices, simulations, and controlled experiments, to study and understand "tricky transformations".

4. Why are "tricky transformations" important to study?

Studying "tricky transformations" is crucial for understanding how the natural world works and for developing new technologies and materials.

5. What are some real-world examples of "tricky transformations"?

Examples of "tricky transformations" in everyday life include the boiling of water, rusting of metal, and fermentation of food. In a scientific context, nuclear fission and fusion reactions are also considered "tricky transformations".