Solve Tricky Word Problem: Motorcycle Cop & Red Ferrari 308 GTS

• Thread starter kurtrudviking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Word problem
In summary, the motorcycle cop can catch the woman in a red Ferrari by accelerating to 30.5 m/s just after the state line.
kurtrudviking

Homework Statement

A motorcycle cop, parked on the side of a highway is passed by a woman in a red Ferrari 308 GTS doing 90km/h. After a few attempts to get his cycle started, the officer roars off 2.00s later. At what average rate must he accelerate if 110km/hr is the top speed and he is to catch her just at the state line 2.00km away?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first started this question by showing what i know and making all unit conversions i need to.

1)
Cop for first 2 sec
vi= 0 km/hr
Pi=0 m
a=0
Ti= 0
Tf= 2

Cop after 2 sec
vi= 0 km/hr
vf= 110 km/hr
pf= 2000 m or 2 km
Ti= 2
a= X

Woman
vi= 90 km/hr
Pi= o m
a= 0
Tf=2

2) Convert the km/hr into m/s

(110 km/hr) X (1000 m/hr) X (1/60 Min) X (1/60 Sec) = 30.56 m/s (COP)
(90 km/hr) X (1000 m/hr) X (1/60 Min) X (1/60 Sec) = 25 m/s (woman)

3) Then find out how long it takes the Woman to get to the state line.

Woman
Position Final = Vi(T)
2000m = 25(T)
T = 80 sec

4) This means that the cop has 78 sec to catch her because it takes him 2 sec to start his bike.

thats all i got...

Physics news on Phys.org
We had a problem exactly like this in AP Physics my Sr. year. If I remember correctly your best bet is to find the womans condition after 2 seconds. Now use some algebra, and a constant acceleration equation (one with all variables x, v, a,) and set them equal, by either t or X it is your choice, however think about which will cancel out better. and you can use the border (or the limit as you approach it) as your final displacement.

Although the best answer is truly it doesn't matter, because it will take longer to solve the problem than to write the ticket. :)

thanks so much! much appreciated if anyone was curious this is how i ended up solving it.

Women Max = 25 m/s
Cop Max = 30.5 m/s

amount of time available
2000 m/25 m/s = 80 s - 2 s = 78 s

.5(a)(t1)^2 + 30.5(t2) = 2000 m
t1 + t2 = 78 s
a(t1) = 30.5

.5(30.5)(t1) + 30.5(78 - t1) = 2000
15.25(t1) + 30.5(78) - 30.5(t1) = 2000

t1 = (2000 - 30.5(78)) / (15.25 - 30.5) = 25.137 sec

a = 30.5 / 25.137 = 1.216 m/s^2

This problem isn't all that tricky.

You have the first step already, which is determining the time budget. At 25 m/s the 2000 m can be covered in 80 seconds less the 2 second head start ... so 78 s.

Now look at the cop's velocity as a function of time.

There is an acceleration time call it T1 and time T2 at max speed.

You know his Vmax and you know for uniform acceleration his Vavg during acceleration will be half Vmax

To arrive at the Ferrari in 2 km then his distance traveled will need to be

2000 = 1/2*Vmax*T1 + Vmax*T2

won't it? And you already know T1 + T2 = 78

... so 2 equations and 2 unks.

LowlyPion said:
This problem isn't all that tricky.

You have the first step already, which is determining the time budget. At 25 m/s the 2000 m can be covered in 80 seconds less the 2 second head start ... so 78 s.

Now look at the cop's velocity as a function of time.

There is an acceleration time call it T1 and time T2 at max speed.

You know his Vmax and you know for uniform acceleration his Vavg during acceleration will be half Vmax

To arrive at the Ferrari in 2 km then his distance traveled will need to be

2000 = 1/2*Vmax*T1 + Vmax*T2

won't it? And you already know T1 + T2 = 78

... so 2 equations and 2 unks.

thanks man both you guys helped me a ton :)
now that you guys showed me this it makes total sense and i can't believe i didnt think of it before. have a great day guys

1. How fast was the motorcycle cop going?

The speed of the motorcycle cop cannot be accurately determined without more information. We would need to know the distance traveled and the time it took for the cop to catch up to the Ferrari.

2. What was the distance between the motorcycle cop and the Ferrari?

Without more information, the distance between the motorcycle cop and the Ferrari cannot be determined. We would need to know the speed of both vehicles and the time it took for the cop to catch up to the Ferrari.

3. How long did it take for the motorcycle cop to catch up to the Ferrari?

Again, without more information, we cannot accurately determine the time it took for the motorcycle cop to catch up to the Ferrari. We would need to know the speed of both vehicles and the distance between them.

4. Did the motorcycle cop have to break any laws to catch the Ferrari?

It is impossible to determine if the motorcycle cop had to break any laws without more information. We would need to know the speed limit of the road and the speed of the motorcycle cop and the Ferrari.

5. Is it possible for a motorcycle cop to catch a Ferrari in real life?

Yes, it is possible for a motorcycle cop to catch a Ferrari in real life. However, it would depend on the specific circumstances and the capabilities of both vehicles.