Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tried finding out what this symbol means, but to no avail did not find it. Help!

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

That is 1 Angström. One Angström is 0.1 nm.

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

More precisely, 1 Ångström. :smile:

For the benefit of the original poster, Ångström was a Swedish physicist, and the "A with a ring" is a feature of the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian languages.

5. Feb 15, 2012 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!

6. Feb 15, 2012 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the symbol you're thinking of looks like a lambda with a circle on top, not like an Å, which by the way isn't really an A with a circle on top. It's a different letter, the one that comes after Z in the Swedish alphabet. Swedes pronounce it roughly the same way the British pronounce "aw" (as in "awful").

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. Feb 15, 2012 #6
    It's angstrom i.e 10^-10 m.

Call it a coincident but during yesterday's lab work I forgot to but that "dot" over A which then my professor pointed out to me .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook