Tried getting a common denominator for both fractions

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the real and complex parts of z in the equation z/z+2=2-i. The participants discuss various mathematical techniques, such as cross-multiplication and factoring, to solve the equation and arrive at the solution of z=3+i. There is also a suggestion to practice similar problems involving only real numbers to improve understanding of algebra and complex numbers.
aisha
find real and complex part of z: z/z+2=2-i

I can't factor out the z because of the 2 in the denominator. The i can be written as the square root of -1 but that doesn't help. I tried multiplying by the conjugate to get z alone but nope not any good. I am doing something wrong can someone please start me off ?

Right now i tried getting a common denominator for both fractions (2z) and then I got stuck at 3z/2z=2-i I think this is wrong.

Help Me Please :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying both sides by (z + 2)

Let z = a + ib, cross-multiply and compare real and imaginary parts.

Gokul43201 said:
Let z = a + ib, cross-multiply and compare real and imaginary parts.

what am i cross multiplying ?

I tried multiplying both sides by (z+2) that does not work because then there will be two variable i and z on the right hand side.

'i' is not a variable. As, you mentioned before, it is the square root of -1. Do you understand what real and imaginary parts mean ?

If you have an equation of the form a + ib = c + id, then a = c and b = d.

yes I understand. Well this is what I did, l multiplied both sides by (z+2) this gave me z alone on the left hand side and on the right I got z=(2-i)(z+2) I expanded this and got
z=2z+4-zi-2i now i don't know what to do

The solution is z=3+i

Try to collect all terms "containing" z onto one size of the equation, and factoring.

You seem to be having a little trouble both with algebra and complex numbers... it might help to try working on similar problems that only involve real numbers. For instance, solve x/(x+2) = 2 for x.

Hurkyl said:
You seem to be having a little trouble both with algebra and complex numbers... it might help to try working on similar problems that only involve real numbers. For instance, solve x/(x+2) = 2 for x.

That I can do x=2x+4 but this question is just hurting my head :cry:

aisha said:
That I can do x=2x+4

No...that's not a solution. A solution would look like "x = blah", where 'blah' is a number that does not involve x. Can you get that from x =2x + 4 ?

yes I understand. Well this is what I did, l multiplied both sides by (z+2) this gave me z alone on the left hand side and on the right I got z=(2-i)(z+2) I expanded this and got
z=2z+4-zi-2i now i don't know what to do

nolachrymose said:
Try to collect all terms "containing" z onto one size of the equation, and factoring.

Did you try nolachrymose's suggestion. Once you have all the z's on the same side of the equation, you can factor out the z, leaving you with

z(some numbers)

Now, if you take and divide both sides of the equation by (some numbers), you can solve the right hand side and do wind up with 3+i, as you said.

What does it mean to get a common denominator for fractions?

Getting a common denominator for fractions means finding a number that both fractions can be expressed in terms of. This allows for easier comparison and computation of the fractions.

Why is it important to get a common denominator for fractions?

Getting a common denominator is important because it allows for easier addition, subtraction, and comparison of fractions. It also helps to simplify and reduce fractions.

How do you find a common denominator for fractions?

To find a common denominator, you need to determine the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators of the fractions. This is the smallest number that is a multiple of both denominators. Then, you can express each fraction in terms of the LCM.

Can you use any number as a common denominator for fractions?

No, you cannot use any number as a common denominator. It must be a multiple of both denominators in order for the fractions to be equivalent. Using a non-common denominator can result in incorrect computations.

Is getting a common denominator always necessary for fractions?

No, getting a common denominator is not always necessary. It is only necessary when performing operations or comparisons with fractions. For example, if you are only simplifying a fraction, you do not need to find a common denominator.