Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story

• Thread starter daniiela
  • Start date
In summary, The equation of relative motion uses sin(30) in the x-direction and cos(30) in the y-direction because the rule to remember is that it's always cos. The component of a vector in a particular direction is always Vcosθ, where θ is the angle between the vector and the direction. In this case, the car B is pointing 30° from the y direction and 60° from the x direction, so the y component is Vcos30° and the x component is Vcos60° (which is also Vsin30°). This rule applies to the equation of relative motion and understanding it can help with problem solving in this class. Thank you for any assistance!
daniiela
I am currently in dynamics and I know the only thing holding me back is understanding the position of angles, no matter how much time I spend attempting to figure out the trig behind most of these problems I never gain any ground. If anyone can simply and sweetly explain to me why the equation of relative motion (IMAGE BELOW) uses sin(30) in the x-direction and cos(30) in the y-direction, and also how is it possible to use 60° rather than the 30°.

I would be unbelievably grateful if someone can shed light onto what may be the only reason holding me back from the grade I deserve in this class! If you can draw a simple picture that would be beyond fantastic as I am absolutely a visual learner.

Thank you soo much in advance!
-Daniela

zujtkx.jpg

**The conceptual basis of the problem being one of relative motion I am having NO problem understanding. So please do not consider this a homework problem that I need help solving.**

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Daniela! :smile:
daniiela said:
… why the equation of relative motion (IMAGE BELOW) uses sin(30) in the x-direction and cos(30) in the y-direction, and also how is it possible to use 60° rather than the 30°.

The rule to remember is that it's always cos.

The component of a vector V (such as velocity or force) in a particular direction is always Vcosθ, where θ is the angle between the velocity and the direction.

So the car B is pointing 30° from the y direction, and 60° from the x direction.

So the y component is Vcos30°, and the x component is Vcos60°. :wink:

(obviously, the latter is also Vsin30°)

Related to Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story

1. What is the main concept behind "Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story"?

The main concept behind "Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story" is to provide a real-life example of how trigonometry and geometry can be applied to solve problems in dynamics. It follows the story of Daniela, a student struggling with understanding the subject, and how she learns to apply trigonometric and geometric principles to solve various dynamics problems.

2. What topics are covered in "Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story"?

The story covers topics such as vectors, forces, kinematics, projectile motion, and circular motion, all of which are important concepts in dynamics. It also includes examples of using trigonometry and geometry to solve these problems.

3. Is this resource suitable for all levels of students?

"Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story" is suitable for students at the high school and introductory college level. It provides a basic understanding of the concepts and can be helpful for students who are struggling with the subject or looking for additional practice.

4. How is this resource different from traditional textbooks or tutorials?

This resource is different from traditional textbooks or tutorials as it uses a storytelling approach to explain the concepts. It makes the subject more relatable and engaging for students, making it easier for them to understand and apply the concepts. It also includes interactive exercises to reinforce learning.

5. Can this resource be used as a standalone study guide?

"Trig/Geometry Help For Dynamics: Daniela's Story" can be used as a standalone study guide, but it is recommended to supplement it with other resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject. It can also be used as a supplementary resource for additional practice and reinforcement of concepts.