Why Sine is an odd function and Cosine is an even function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of odd and even functions, specifically in relation to sine and cosine. The definitions of sine and cosine on the unit circle are explained, with examples of how they demonstrate the parity of the functions. The conversation also addresses the confusion surrounding angles greater than 180 degrees and provides a demonstration to clarify understanding.
hmm?
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on my seemingly opaque brain as to why Sine is an odd function and Cosine is an even function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try graphing it, that should help. Sin(x) is odd because sin(-x)=-sin(x), whereas cos(x) is even because cos(-x)=cos(x). When looking at the definitions of sin and cos on the unit circle it should be obvious... if you go backwards x radians instead of forwards, you end up on the opposite side of the x-axis, but the same side of the y-axis. This is because you start at x=0 on the x-axis

Looking at the Taylor Series should help.

Office_Shredder said:
Try graphing it, that should help. Sin(x) is odd because sin(-x)=-sin(x), whereas cos(x) is even because cos(-x)=cos(x). When looking at the definitions of sin and cos on the unit circle it should be obvious... if you go backwards x radians instead of forwards, you end up on the opposite side of the x-axis, but the same side of the y-axis. This is because you start at x=0 on the x-axis

From what I gather, I think your explanation and the books is similiar. So as far as I can understand Cos(-60)=1/2 and Sin(-30)=-1/2 which satisfies the Sin(-x)=-Sinx and Cos(-x)=Cosx--this is not hard for me to comprehend, but I was thinking, what about Cos(-120)? Does this not equal -1/2, or Sin(-210)=1/2--does it vary with in certain quadrants? Anyways, thanks Officer shredder for pointing me in the right direction.

Look at the "unit circle" definition for the functions. As Office_Shredder said, the parity of the functions should be pretty obvious.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about:

Consider the point (1,0). If you rotate that point around the origin by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] counterclockwise, without changing its length, then you get a new point (x,y) (with [itex]x^2+y^2=1,[/itex] which is why this is referred to as the "unit circle" defition - you're just rotating around a circle of radius 1 centered at the origin). We define [itex]\sin{\theta} = y[/itex] and [itex]\cos{\theta} = x[/itex].

So if we rotate 0 degrees, you get [itex]\sin{\theta} = 0[/itex] since that just leaves you with (x,y)=(1,0). If you rotate around counterclockwise (ie. [itex]\theta[/itex] is positive) with an angle [itex]\leq \pi[/itex], you see that [itex]y \geq 0[/itex], so [itex]\sin{\theta} = y \geq 0[/itex]. If you then rotate by [itex]-\theta[/itex] (ie. clockwise by the same angle) then you find that [itex]y[/itex] is now of opposite sign but the same magnitude, ie. [itex]\sin{\theta} = -\sin{(-\theta)}[/itex]. You'll see this works for angles [itex]\theta > \pi[/itex] too if you think about it.

Seeing that [itex]\cos[/itex] is even is equally easy with that definition.

(note I'm using radians for angles here which you may or may not be familiar with - in the above, [itex]\pi = 180^\circ[/itex])

Last edited:
Data said:
You'll see this works for angles [itex]\theta > \pi[/itex] too if you think about it.

If you could provide me a demonstration of let's say [itex]\sin(-\frac{7\pi}{6}) = -\sin(\frac{7\pi}{6}) [/itex] I would be most greatful, Data. As you can see, this is what excites the most trouble in my understanding--when [tex]\theta \geq 180 [/tex]. My apologies if I come off tenacious, but not understanding this completely vexes me inside!

Ahh! It should [tex]\frac{7\pi}{6} [/tex] radians.

Thanks.

Last edited:

1. Why is Sine an odd function?

Sine is an odd function because it satisfies the condition of odd functions, where f(-x) = -f(x). In other words, the function is symmetric about the origin, with every value of x having a corresponding value of -x with the opposite sign.

2. How does this symmetry relate to the graph of Sine?

This symmetry is reflected in the graph of Sine, where the function crosses the origin at a 45 degree angle and continues to follow a wave-like pattern in both the positive and negative directions.

3. Why is Cosine an even function?

Cosine is an even function because it satisfies the condition of even functions, where f(-x) = f(x). In other words, the function is symmetric about the y-axis, with every value of x having a corresponding value of -x with the same sign.

4. How does this symmetry relate to the graph of Cosine?

Similar to Sine, the symmetry of Cosine is reflected in its graph, where the function crosses the y-axis at a steep slope and continues to follow a wave-like pattern in both the positive and negative directions.

5. What practical applications does this property of Sine and Cosine have?

The odd and even properties of Sine and Cosine are essential in many mathematical and scientific applications, including signal processing, sound and light waves, and electrical engineering. They are also used in solving various differential equations and differential calculus problems.