What are Lead and Lag Phases in Trigonometric Equations?

• Thread starter krnhseya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase Trig
In summary, the conversation is about expressing trigonometric expressions as R sin (wt + alpha) and finding the values of R and alpha. The topic also includes lead phase and lag phase angles and their relation to the R-formula. There is a discussion about how the angles correspond to the sine and cosine forms of the expressions. The conversation also includes a link to a website explaining the R-formula and the use of angles in trigonometric expressions.
krnhseya

Homework Statement

Express the following as R sin (wt + alpha). Find R and alpha. This is lead phase.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

I need to do same thing for cosine as well but the second part of problem asks you...

Lag phase instead of lead phase using cosine instead of sine...Also explain with words and sketches what lead and lag phase angles refer to.

This is an engineering course but it seems really simple. I tried to google, textbook, and etc. to find what this lead phase, lag phase, lead phase angle, and lag phase angle.
I am trying to finish most of my homework for upcoming week and this is driving me nuts!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Express what as a sin wave?

A sin wave either leads or lags another wave... so unless I am missing something, you need to put down some more information.

a) x = 4 cos (wt) + 10 sin (wt)
b) y = -2 cos (wt) + 5 sin (wt)

sorry about that and thank you for the response.

Okay this looks like a maths and not engineering problem. Have you learned something called R-formula? You might have forgotten it, so I found a link via google to refresh your memory:

http://www.geocities.com/maths9233/Trigonometry/RFormula.html

As for lagging and leading phase, note that when you have expressed your trigo expressions in the required form there, alpha is what you would call the leading/lagging phase. When it is positive, it is leading, when negative it is lagging. But of course all this requires interpretation as to what exactly is leading and lagging, is it current, voltage or something else? It sounds as though you are made to calculate how much the current lags behind the voltage for a particular circuit setup.

Thanks for all the information.
No, it's not about the current, or anything...
Professor gave us what I wrote and it doesn't say what this is for...
I think it was given to just refresh our math skills or some sort, it's beginning of the semester so I have no clue how this will be used in future.
As far as angles are concerned, how they related to that form, R-formula?

I will have to study myself to get that R-formula from a) and b)...
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Since you're doing engineering you'll sooner or later be aware (if you had done simple harmonic motion in your high school) that sine and cosine expressions don't always have to be of angles. wt, for example in your above 2 equations doesn't represent physically an angle of any kind. It is instead used as way of mathematically expressing a periodic function (one which oscillates between 2 values).

The point of R-formula is to allow you an easy way to add up two trigonometric expressions, and this 2 trigo expressions can mean anything in engineering. For eg. they can represent what happens when you add 2 waveforms due to either electrical signals, sound, etc. together to see what the resultant waveform is.

Yeah, I've done harmonic motion in high school and in university.
What I am wondering is that after I make an R formula, what's the angle in sketch and what it represents.
Yesterday when I was looking for it online, I found a document that had an angle but none of them matched my logic. (It had 30,45,60,90,120, etc.)

[edit]
I get...
1a) x=4coswt +10sinwt => x=10sinwt +4coswt => sqrt(116) sin (wt+arctan(4/10)) as a lead phase with R sin (wt + alpha) form
2a) x=4coswt +10sinwt => sqrt(116) cos (wt - arctan (10/4)) as a lag phase with R cos (wt + alpha) form.

For both b though...I don't get what I needed...
1b) y= -(2coswt-5sinwt) => sqrt(29) cos (wt + arctan 5/2) as a lead phase but it's not in sin form...
2b) y= 5sinwt-2coswt => sqrt(29) sin (wt - arctan 2/5) as a lag phase but it's not in cos form...

http://www.geocities.com/maths9233/Trigonometry/RFormula.html

I used that to solved it but I can't think of a way to switch cos to sin and sin to cos...

Last edited:
Is lead phase actually when alpha is positive? It seems like lead phase is when it's in terms of sin...ex) R sin (wt + alpha)
So for lag phase, R cos (wt + alpha)
Can anyone confirm this and how angles refer to this equation?
Thanks.

1. What is the definition of a trig lead/lag phase?

Trig lead/lag phase refers to the relationship between two different signals or waveforms, where one signal is leading or lagging the other by a certain amount of time.

2. How is trig lead/lag phase measured?

Trig lead/lag phase is typically measured in degrees, with 360 degrees representing one full cycle of a waveform. It can also be measured in radians, with 2π representing one full cycle.

3. What is the significance of trig lead/lag phase in scientific research?

Trig lead/lag phase is important in many fields of science, including physics, biology, and engineering. It can help researchers understand the relationship between different systems or signals and can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. How is trig lead/lag phase used in experiments or studies?

In experiments or studies, trig lead/lag phase can be measured and analyzed using various techniques such as Fourier analysis, phase shifters, and oscilloscopes. It can also be used to control and manipulate signals in order to achieve desired outcomes.

5. What are some real-world applications of trig lead/lag phase?

Trig lead/lag phase has many practical applications, including in telecommunications, audio processing, and control systems. It is also used in fields such as astronomy to study the movement and behavior of celestial objects.