Checking My Homework: Finding Mistakes in a Limit

In summary, spamiam and lurflurf helped the student solve the homework equation. L'Hôpital's rule was used to solve the equation.
baseballman

Homework Statement

I tried to solve this limit, but failed in the process 'cause the answer's 1 but I get 0. I'd just like for you to check out my steps and tell me what I've done wrong, not post a different solution. Thanks in advance.

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{2\sin \left( x \right) - \sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{{x^3}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{\sin \left( x \right)}}{x} = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{2\sin \left( x \right) - \sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{{x^3}}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{2\sin \left( x \right)}}{{{x^3}}} - \frac{{\sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{{x^3}}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \left( 2 \right)\left( {\frac{{\sin \left( x \right)}}{x}} \right)\left( {\frac{1}{{{x^2}}}} \right) - \left( {\frac{{\sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{2x}}} \right)\left( {\frac{2}{{{x^2}}}} \right) \\
= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \left( 2 \right)\left( 1 \right)\left( {\frac{1}{{{x^2}}}} \right) - \left( 1 \right)\left( {\frac{2}{{{x^2}}}} \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{2}{{{x^2}}} - \frac{2}{{{x^2}}} = 0 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
baseballman said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{2\sin \left( x \right) - \sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{{x^3}}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{2\sin \left( x \right)}}{{{x^3}}} - \frac{{\sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{{x^3}}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \left( 2 \right)\left( {\frac{{\sin \left( x \right)}}{x}} \right)\left( {\frac{1}{{{x^2}}}} \right) - \left( {\frac{{\sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{2x}}} \right)\left( {\frac{2}{{{x^2}}}} \right)[/tex]

Your mistake is right here. You can't selectively apply limits to some terms but not to others. In this case, you took the limit of [itex] \frac{\sin{x}}{x} [/itex], but not of [itex] \frac{1}{x^2} [/itex] or [itex] \frac{2}{x^2} [/itex].

Have you seen L'Hôpital's rule yet? It seems like the easiest way to solve it to me.

Last edited:
Why would we want to use L'Hôpital's rule? In most calculus books this would be like a chapter 3 question, and L'Hôpital's rule would be in like chapter 10.

[tex]\frac{{2\sin x -\sin 2 x }{x^3}}=\left( \frac{{\sin \frac{{x}{2}} }{\frac{{x}{2}}\right) }^3\cos \frac{{x}{2}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks a lot spamiam and lurflurf!

[tex] \frac{2\sin x - \sin 2x}{x^3} = 2\frac{\sin x}{x} \frac{1-\cos x}{x^2} = 2\frac{\sin x}{x} 2\frac{\sin^2 \frac{x}{2}}{x^2} =\frac{\sin x}{x}\frac{\sin^2 \frac{x}{2}}{\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^2} [/tex]

and this way you'll get the answer.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or "limit". It represents the value that the function is approaching, but may never actually reach.

2. Why is it important to check for mistakes in limits?

Checking for mistakes in limits is important because an error in the calculation or understanding of a limit can lead to incorrect results in further mathematical calculations. It is also important for ensuring the accuracy and validity of mathematical proofs.

3. How do I check for mistakes in a limit?

There are several steps you can follow to check for mistakes in a limit. These include checking for algebraic errors, using graphing software to visualize the limit, plugging in different values to see if the limit changes, and comparing your results to known solutions or examples.

4. What are some common mistakes made when finding limits?

Some common mistakes when finding limits include forgetting to apply the limit definition, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, not considering the behavior of the function at the limit point, and not simplifying the expression completely.

5. How can I improve my skills in finding and checking limits?

To improve your skills in finding and checking limits, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from a teacher or tutor. You can also review and study the properties and rules of limits, as well as work on challenging examples to strengthen your understanding.