Verifying and Proving z=cisθ Identity

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, by using the given equation z=cis\theta and its reciprocal z^{-1}=cis(-\theta), it can be verified that \tan \theta = \frac{{z - z^{ - 1} }}{{i(z + z^{ - 1} )}}. This result can then be used to prove the identity \cos (2\theta ) = \frac{{1 - \tan ^2 \theta }}{{1 + \tan ^2 \theta }}. By substituting the value of \tan \theta into the second identity and simplifying, it can be seen that it is equal to \cos (2\theta).
danago
Gold Member
If [tex]z=cis\theta[/tex], verify that [tex]
\tan \theta = \frac{{z - z^{ - 1} }}{{i(z + z^{ - 1} )}}
[/tex]. Use this result to prove that [tex]
\cos (2\theta ) = \frac{{1 - \tan ^2 \theta }}{{1 + \tan ^2 \theta }}
[/tex]

Ok, I've managed to verify the first equation given, but I am not really sure how to use it to prove the second identity. I am really not sure where to start. If somebody could give me a hint about where to start id be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your [tex]z^{-1}[/tex] actually mean conjugate of z?

Nah its the reciprocal of z.

Haven't seen "cis" in a long time! It's engineering shorthand for [itex]cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)= e^{i\theta}[/itex]. From the last form, or comparing [itex]\theta[/itex] for z and z-1, it should be clear that if [itex]z= cis(\theta)[/itex] then [itex]z^{-1}= cis(-\theta)= cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta)[/itex]. Putting those in for z and z-1 in
[tex]\frac{z- z^{-1}}{i(z+ z^{-1}}[/itex]

By the way, when |z|= 1, as is the case here, z-1 is the complex conjugate:
[tex]\frac{1}{x+ iy}= \frac{1}{x+iy}\frac{x-iy}{x-iy}= \frac{x-iy}{x^2+ y^2}= x- iy[/tex]

basically, you have [tex]\tan \theta[/tex] equal something, so all you need to do to prove your 2nd identity is just sub in this where [tex]\tan \theta[/tex]'s appear and simplify then you shall see that it actually equals to [tex]\cos (2\theta)[/tex]
hint:
[tex]\cos (x)=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2} [/tex]

Nah its the reciprocal of z.

Nah, my question was a rhetorical one :smile:

also note that [tex]z+z^*=2\text{Re}(z)[/tex] , [tex]z-z^* = 2i\text{Im}(z)[/tex] and [tex]z z^* = |z|[/tex]

Got it :smile: thanks for the help guys :D

Related to Verifying and Proving z=cisθ Identity

1. What is a "z=cisθ" identity?

A "z=cisθ" identity is a mathematical expression that represents complex numbers in polar form. It is written in the form z=r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle between the complex number and the positive real axis.

2. Why is it important to verify and prove z=cisθ identities?

Verifying and proving z=cisθ identities is important because it allows for the simplification of complex mathematical expressions. By converting complex numbers to polar form using z=cisθ identities, calculations involving these numbers become much easier and more efficient.

3. What is the process for verifying and proving z=cisθ identities?

The process for verifying and proving z=cisθ identities involves converting both sides of the equation to polar form and then comparing the values of r and θ. If the values are equal, the identity is verified and proven. If not, further simplification steps may be necessary.

4. Are there any specific techniques for verifying and proving z=cisθ identities?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used for verifying and proving z=cisθ identities. These include using trigonometric identities, properties of complex numbers, and the De Moivre's theorem.

5. How can verifying and proving z=cisθ identities be applied in real-world situations?

Verifying and proving z=cisθ identities can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. In engineering, it can be used to simplify calculations involving complex electrical circuits. In physics, it can be used to analyze the behavior of waves. In finance, it can be used to calculate interest rates and compound interest.