How do I solve a quadratic trigonometric equation with unusual terms?

In summary, the person is trying to solve the equation 2 cos x + tan x = sec x using identities and has gotten stuck with a partially solved equation. They have tried to solve for sin x and ended up with a quadratic equation. They are seeking help and someone suggests using the quadratic formula with t=sinx.
db1uover

Homework Statement

2 cos x + tan x = sec x

Homework Equations

I can move terms around with identities, but I'm stuck with the partially solved equation below. I don't know how to solve a quadratic with weird terms. I got really far. But how do I show sin x?

sin x = (-1 +- sqrt (1+9))/-4 = 1, -.5 which implies x = pi/2, 7pi/6, 11pi/6 ; range [0, 2pi).

The Attempt at a Solution

cos x (2 cos x + tan x) = sec x (cos x)
2 cos^2 x + sin x = 1
2 cos^2 x - 1 + sin x = 0
(1 - 2 sin^2 x) + sin x = 0
-2sin^2 x + sin x + 1 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put t=sinx

you will get -2t2+t+1=0

Now use the quadratic equation formula

Thanks Rock. I got confused with the solution given to me. It showed taking the root of 10 gives some kind of rational number. I was so lost. At least I know where I was messing up. Thanks.

What is a trig quadratic equation?

A trig quadratic equation is a mathematical equation that involves both trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and quadratic terms (such as x^2). It is a type of polynomial equation that can be solved using algebraic techniques.

What is the general form of a trig quadratic equation?

The general form of a trig quadratic equation is: a*sin^2(x) + b*sin(x) + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

How is a trig quadratic equation solved?

To solve a trig quadratic equation, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. It is important to have a solid understanding of trigonometric identities and properties in order to solve these equations accurately.

What are some real-life applications of trig quadratic equations?

Trig quadratic equations have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum or the trajectory of a projectile. They are also commonly used to analyze electrical circuits and solve problems in optics.

Can a trig quadratic equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a trig quadratic equation can have more than one solution. In fact, it can have up to two solutions, as it is a type of quadratic equation. These solutions can be real or complex numbers, depending on the values of the constants in the equation.