Trigonometric equations question

In summary, the student is trying to solve for x in the equation sin x tan x + tan x - 2sinx + cos x = 0, but is having trouble. They attempted to make tan x = \frac{cos x}{sin x}, but did not have any luck, and are now stuck. They attempted to set each side to 0 to get a valid solution, but only reached the third quadrant. They used known techniques to solve for x, and got the value 3*pi/2.
spoc21

Homework Statement

Solve for x for [tex]0\leq x[/tex][tex]\leq 2 \pi[/tex] in the following equation:

sin x tan x + tan x - 2sinx + cos x =0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried making [tex]tan x = \frac{cos x}{sin x}[/tex], but did not have any luck, and am very confused on how to solve the equation.

I would really appreciate any help/suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, actually [tex] tan(x) = \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}[/tex]. Try this, put everything over a common denominator, and simplify

Yeah, sorry, my mistake
I did actually try [tex]tan x = \frac{cos x}{sin x}[/tex], and tried to solve for a common denominator, cos (x), but am still very confused.

This seems to be a tough one. If you replace the tan expressions you get
[tex]\frac{sin^2 x}{cos x} + \frac{sin x}{cos x} -2sin x + cos x = 0 [/tex]

Multiplying by cos x gives you
[tex]sin^2 x + sin x -2sin x cos x + cos^2 x = 0 [/tex]

Which becomes
[tex]1 + sin x -2sin x cos x = 0 [/tex]

I haven't been able to get to anything reasonable beyond this point. Can you confirm that we are working the right problem?

If you keep going, you can write this as: 1+sin(x) = sin(2x). This has one solution that can be obtained by inspection, namely x = 3*pi/2, where sin(2x)=0, and sin(x)=-1. By graphing it out you can see that there is a second solution with a numerical value of x~=3.49, but I don't know how to get an analytic value for this solution.

Mark44 said:
This seems to be a tough one. If you replace the tan expressions you get
[tex]\frac{sin^2 x}{cos x} + \frac{sin x}{cos x} -2sin x + cos x = 0 [/tex]

Multiplying by cos x gives you
[tex]sin^2 x + sin x -2sin x cos x + cos^2 x = 0 [/tex]

Which becomes
[tex]1 + sin x -2sin x cos x = 0 [/tex]

I haven't been able to get to anything reasonable beyond this point. Can you confirm that we are working the right problem?

Yes, this is precisely where I'm stuck. I'm not sure on how to proceed after this step.

phyzguy said:
If you keep going, you can write this as: 1+sin(x) = sin(2x).
Yeah, I got that, too, but thought I should be able to get an equation that could be solved by means other than inspection.
phyzguy said:
This has one solution that can be obtained by inspection, namely x = 3*pi/2, where sin(2x)=0, and sin(x)=-1. By graphing it out you can see that there is a second solution with a numerical value of x~=3.49, but I don't know how to get an analytic value for this solution.

phyzguy said:
If you keep going, you can write this as: 1+sin(x) = sin(2x). This has one solution that can be obtained by inspection, namely x = 3*pi/2, where sin(2x)=0, and sin(x)=-1. By graphing it out you can see that there is a second solution with a numerical value of x~=3.49, but I don't know how to get an analytic value for this solution.

I think at this point the "analytical" thing to do would be to set each side equivalent to 0 and solve. So that:

1+sin(x)=0
sin(x)=-1
x=3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2

2sin(x)cos(x)=0
sin(x)=0
x=[tex]\pi[/tex] and 2[tex]\pi[/tex]

2sin(x)cos(x)=0
cos(x)=0
x=3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2

At this point, I think it becomes a plug-and-chug with 3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 being the only viable option.

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me. a = b does not necessarily imply that a = 0 or that b = 0.

If you really want an analytic solution, you can square both sides to obtain the following:
[tex]1+2sin(x)+sin^2(x)=sin^2(2x)=1-cos^2(2x)=1-(1-2sin^2(x))^2=4sin^2(x)-4sin^4(x)[/tex]
collecting terms and calling s = sin(x) gives:
[tex]4s^4-3s^2+2s+1=0[/tex]
This can be solved using known techniques (I actually used Mathematica), with the only real solutions being s=-1 (which is the 3*pi/2 solution for x), and:
s=1/6 (2 - 1/(28 - 3 Sqrt[87])^(1/3) - (28 - 3 Sqrt[87])^(1/3))
So for x, we have:
x = 3*pi/2
x = arcsin(1/6 (2 - 1/(28 - 3 Sqrt[87])^(1/3) - (28 - 3 Sqrt[87])^(1/3)))

Since we squared both sides, we introduced some extra solutions, so we have to sort through the multiple values of the arcsin to find the correct one, and realize that only the one in quadrant 3 gives an actual solution. This is the x~3.49 solution from the graphical analysis.

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to represent relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle.

2. How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to isolate the variable being solved for by using algebraic techniques. This may involve using trigonometric identities, factoring, or substitution. Once the variable is isolated, you can use a calculator or table of trigonometric values to find the solution.

3. What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 that is centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to define the values of trigonometric functions for any angle, including those outside of the usual range of 0 to 360 degrees.

4. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve trigonometric equations in some cases. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By rearranging this formula and substituting trigonometric identities, you can solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle.

5. How are trigonometric equations used in real life?

Trigonometric equations are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, to solve problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two objects, or to design structures with specific angles and dimensions. They are also used in navigation to determine the location of a ship or plane.