Trigonometric Identity? - Deriving the Double Angle Formulas for Sine and Cosine

In summary: Can you post the question in full? I'm not sure about the limits of integration, and what the question is asking for...In summary, the conversation revolves around using the trigonometric identity z = tan(\theta/2) to prove the equations cos\theta = \frac{1-z^2}{1+z^2}, sin\theta = \frac{2z}{1+z^2}, and \frac{d\theta}{dz} = \frac{2}{1+z^2}. The conversation also covers using this identity to evaluate the integral \int\sec\thetad\theta.
jamesbob
Trigonometric Identity??

I just can't figure this out. I don't think I've covered enough material to do this. Can anyone help? I've put the entire question but I am sure all i need is a little explanation and maybe the first answer and i could do the rest. :confused:

[tex] Let z = tan(\theta/2).// Show that

cos\theta = \frac{1-z^2}{1+z^2}

sin\theta = \frac{2z}{1+z^2}

\frac{d\theta}{dz} = \frac{2}{1+z^2}

[/tex]

Thanks. Sorry i tried to use latex but can't figure out spaces.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start off with plugging it in and use that [itex]\sec ^2 a = 1 + \tan ^2 a[/itex].

For example, to start the first one:

[tex]\frac{{1 - z^2 }}{{1 + z^2 }} = \frac{{1 - \tan ^2 \left( {x/2} \right)}}{{1 + \tan ^2 \left( {x/2} \right)}} = \frac{{2 - \sec ^2 \left( {x/2} \right)}}{{\sec ^2 \left( {x/2} \right)}} = \frac{2}{{\sec ^2 \left( {x/2} \right)}} - 1[/tex]

You're almost there, switch from sec to cos and use the double angle formula. Can you try the other ones now?

You should look up some double-angle formulae in your textbook (note that: [tex]x = 2 \times \frac{x}{2}[/tex]), and some identities like:
[tex]1 + \tan ^ 2 x = \frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \sec ^ 2 x[/tex]
I'll do the sin(x) for you:
[tex]\frac{2 \tan \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}{1 + \left( \tan ^ 2 \frac{x}{2} \right)} = \frac{2 \frac{\sin \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}{\cos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}}{\frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}} = 2\sin \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) = \sin (x)[/tex].
You can do the rest, right? :smile:
--------------
Ooops, I didn't know you have posted, TD. Sorry to say nearly what you have said...

Last edited:
No problem, just a little less work for jamesbob but I'll doubt he'll mind :smile:

Thanks so much for your help so far. I really appreciate the time you've spent to help me.

For the first one my complete working was (including every line, needed or not) :

[tex] \frac{{1 - z^2 }}{{1 + z^2 }} = \frac{{1 - \tan ^2 \left( {\theta/2} \right)}}{{1 + \tan ^2 \left( {\theta/2} \right)}} [/tex]

here i said that

[tex] \tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta - 1 [/tex]

so

[tex] 1 - \tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) = 1 - (-1 + \sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))[/tex]
and
[tex] 1 + \tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) = 1 + \sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) [/tex]

so continuing we have:

[tex] \frac{2 - \sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})}{\sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} = /frac{2}{\sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} = /frac{2}{\sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} - 1 [/tex]

here i said that [tex] \sec(x) = \frac{1}{\cos(x)} [/tex]

so we have, switching to cos
[tex] \frac{2}{\frac{1}{\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2})}} = 2\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) - 1 [/tex]

and using [tex] 2\cos^2x-1 = \cos2x [/tex]
we have
[tex] \cos(2 x (\frac{\theta}{2}) = cos(\theta) [/tex]

I hope this LaTeX coding works. I'll do another post for the next two answers.

Last edited:
Apart from a few LaTeX-troubles, this seems alright :smile:

Thanks, yeah for some reason i just couldn't get those fractions to work when they seem identical to others. I just started using LaTeX today so i aint that experienced. For [tex]\sin(\theta) = \frac{2z}{1 + z^2}[/tex] i said that this is equal to

[tex] \frac{2\tan(\frac{\theta}{2})}{1 = \tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} [/tex] and I'm now realising its just the same as what's already been posted so I'm not going to do it again.

I'm having difficulty with the last one tho. Is it anything to do with

[tex] \int\frac{2}{1 + z^2} = 2\tan^-1\tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) [/tex] ?

You want to find [itex]d\theta /dz[/itex] but we know that [itex]z = \tan \left( {\theta /2} \right)[/itex]. Try to rewrite this last expression so you have [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of x instead of the other way arround it is now. Then you can find its derivative with respect to z which is just what you want.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what i had tried to do originally but got totally lost. best i could do was

[tex]\theta=\tan^-1 \times \frac{2\tan(\frac{\theta}{2})}{1-\tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2})}[/tex]

and i reckon this is totally the wrong direction.

jamesbob said:
Thanks so much for your help so far. I really appreciate the time you've spent to help me.

For the first one my complete working was (including every line, needed or not) :

[tex] \frac{{1 - z^2 }}{{1 + z^2 }} = \frac{{1 - \tan ^2 \left( {\theta/2} \right)}}{{1 + \tan ^2 \left( {\theta/2} \right)}} [/tex]

here i said that

[tex] \tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta - 1 [/tex]

so

[tex] 1 - \tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) = 1 - (-1 + \sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))[/tex]
and
[tex] 1 + \tan^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) = 1 + \sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) [/tex]

so continuing we have:

[tex] \frac{2 - \sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})}{\sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} = /frac{2}{\sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} = /frac{2}{\sec^2(\frac{\theta}{2})} - 1 [/tex]

here i said that [tex] \sec(x) = \frac{1}{\cos(x)} [/tex]

so we have, switching to cos
[tex] \frac{2}{\frac{1}{\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2})}} = 2\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) - 1 [/tex]

and using [tex] 2\cos^2x-1 = \cos2x [/tex]
we have
[tex] \cos(2 x (\frac{\theta}{2}) = cos(\theta) [/tex]

I hope this LaTeX coding works. I'll do another post for the next two answers.
This looks fine (as TD has already confirmed you). But your 4th LaTeX part is wrong, it reads:
[tex]1 + \tan ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) = 1 + \sec ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)[/tex], when it should actually reads:
[tex]1 + \tan ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) = \sec ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)[/tex].
Other than that, everything looks good. :smile:
-------------------
Since you've posted your answer, I'd like to show you a little faster way:
Multiply both numerator, and denominator by cos2(theta / 2)
[tex]\frac{1 - \tan ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)}{1 + \tan ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)} = \frac{\cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)}{\cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)} \times \frac{1 - \tan ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)}{\frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)}} = \frac{\cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) - \sin ^ 2 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)}{1} = \cos (\theta)[/tex].
-------------------
[tex]z = \tan \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) \Rightarrow \frac{\theta}{2} = \arctan z \Rightarrow \theta = 2 \arctan z[/tex]
Can you differentiate arctan(x) with respect to x?
ie, what's:
[tex]\frac{d(\arctan(x))}{dx} = ?[/tex]
Have you covered it yet?
You can go from here, right?

umm not done arctan yet, any otherr way to do it?

This leads onto a question saying: a standard substitution to convert integrals of trigonometric functions into integrals of rational functions is the substitution
[tex]z = \tan(\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]​
Use this substitution to show that

[tex] \int\sec\thetad\theta = ln(\sec\theta + \tan\theta) + C [/tex]

I don't know if this helps in the direction we need to take it. I can't see how to do this question either.

jamesbob said:
umm not done arctan yet, any otherr way to do it?
Okay, 1 other way is to note that:
arctan(tan(x)) = x (this is true for all [itex]x \in ]- \pi / 2 ; \ \pi / 2[[/itex], right?)
Let u = tan(x). We have:
arctan(u) = x
Differentiate both sides with respect to x, we have:
arctan'(u) u'(x) = 1 (We use the chain rule for the LHS)
So:
[tex]\arctan ' (u) = \frac{1}{u'(x)} = \frac{1}{\tan '(x)} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 x}} = \frac{1}{1 + \tan ^ 2 x} = \frac{1}{1 + u ^ 2}[/tex]. So that means:
[tex]\arctan ' (x) = \frac{1}{1 + x ^ 2}[/tex]. Okay, I think I've told you the answer. Do you get this? :cool:
---------------
For the next problem. Let [tex]t = \tan \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right)[/tex]
Before you integrate that expression. First, answer these question:
1. What's [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] in terms of t?
2. What's dx in terms of t, and dt?
3. What does the integral finally become?

1. What is a Trigonometric Identity?

A Trigonometric Identity is an equation involving trigonometric functions that is true for all values of the variables. It is a mathematical relationship between different trigonometric functions that can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations.

2. What are the basic Trigonometric Identities?

The basic Trigonometric Identities include the Pythagorean Identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and cofunction identities. The Pythagorean Identities are sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 and tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x). Reciprocal identities include csc(x) = 1/sin(x), sec(x) = 1/cos(x), and cot(x) = 1/tan(x). Quotient identities are tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) and cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x). Cofunction identities are sin(x) = cos(90-x) and tan(x) = cot(90-x).

3. How are Trigonometric Identities used in real life?

Trigonometric Identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, in engineering, they are used to solve problems involving forces and motion. In physics, they are used to calculate the behavior of waves and oscillations. In navigation, they are used to determine distances and angles between locations.

4. Are there any special methods for proving Trigonometric Identities?

Yes, there are several methods for proving Trigonometric Identities. These include using algebraic manipulation, using the unit circle, and using identities to transform one expression into another. Another method is to convert all trigonometric functions into their equivalent expressions in terms of sine and cosine, and then simplify the expressions using algebraic techniques.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Trigonometric Identities?

Some common mistakes when using Trigonometric Identities include forgetting to use parentheses when substituting one expression into another, making mistakes in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to consider the domain restrictions for certain trigonometric functions. It is also important to double check the final result to ensure that it is equivalent to the original expression before using the identity.