Trigonometric Substitution for Evaluating Integrals: Using t=atan(theta) Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of appropriate substitutions and trigonometric substitutions to evaluate a specific integral. The speaker is unsure how to rewrite the integral and limits, but another speaker suggests using u-substitution and rewriting the limits accordingly. Alternatively, the speaker notes that e^{2t} can be rewritten as {(e^{t})}^2 and suggests going directly to trig substitution.
genu

Homework Statement

Use an appropriate substitution and then a trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral:
[tex]\int_-^{ln(4)} \frac{e^{t}dt}{\sqrt{e^{2t}+9}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Seems to be close to the [tex]t=atan(\theta)[/tex] model
[tex]\int \frac{e^{t}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+x^{2}}}dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've rewritten it to reflect the relevant model:
[tex]\int \frac{e^{t}}{\sqrt{3^{2}+(??)}}dt[/tex]

Not sure how to rewrite the e in my attempt...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easiest to think of this in two steps. First substitute u=e^t. What's the integral in terms of u?

Thanks, that really helped...

When do that u substitution, however, do I need to rewrite my limits?

because once I integrate, I will be witting everything in terms of t...

so which limits do I use in the end? the originals? or the ones from the u substitution?

You will have to rewrite the integration limits yes. It is not so hard to see why, however. You know that your upper limit is [itex]t=\ln 4[/itex] and you have made the substitution [itex]u=e^t[/itex]. So what value will u become?

because once I integrate, I will be witting everything in terms of t...

If you rewrite everything in terms of t you can of course use the old limits. You are however not allowed to put the original limits below and above the integral sign of the du integral. So if you do not want to change the limits calculate the indefinite integral first in terms of t then fill in the limits.

If you don't want to rewrite the limits, just note that [tex]e^{2t} = {(e^{t})}^2[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d}{dt} [e^{t}] = e^{t}[/tex] and go directly to trig substitution.

Related to Trigonometric Substitution for Evaluating Integrals: Using t=atan(theta) Model

What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving algebraic expressions with roots or squares. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral.

When is trigonometric substitution used?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integrand contains expressions involving the square root of a quadratic equation, or when the integrand contains both a quadratic and linear term.

What is the process of trigonometric substitution?

The process of trigonometric substitution involves three steps: identifying the appropriate substitution, making the substitution, and simplifying the resulting integral using trigonometric identities.

What are the three trigonometric substitutions commonly used?

The three commonly used trigonometric substitutions are:

• Substitution of √(a²-x²) with a sinθ
  • Substitution of √(a²+x²) with a tanθ
  • Substitution of √(x²-a²) with a secθ

Why is trigonometric substitution useful?

Trigonometric substitution is useful because it allows for the simplification of integrals involving complicated algebraic expressions, making them easier to solve. This technique is also essential in solving a variety of real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.