Triple integrals in spherical & cylindrical coordinates

In summary, Dick is trying to find limits of integration for the volume of a sphere in three coordinate systems-spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular. All of the limits were found to be within the same range, but the limits for p were only correct when phi was between 0 and pi/2. The limits for theta and z were not found to be correct. Finally, Dick is trying to find the volume of a smaller region cut from the sphere by a plane z=1. If theta and z are within the same range as p and phi, then phi can be found by intersecting the plane z=1 with the sphere. If theta and z are not within the same range,
DWill

Homework Statement

Set up triple integrals for the volume of the sphere rho = 2 in (a) spherical, (b) cylindrical, and (c) rectangular coordinates.

Homework Equations

Volume in cylindrical coordinates: Triple integral of dz r dr d(theta) over region D.
Volume in spherical coordinates: Triple integral of [p^2 sin(phi) dp d(phi) d(theta)] over region D.

p = rho

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to find limits of integration:
For (a), I looked at the limits starting with theta, then phi and then p. Because the region is a sphere, starting from the positive x-axis I thought theta would range from 0 to 2pi (make one complete revolution).

phi I thought should range from the positive z-axis to the negative z-axis, so from 0 to pi.

And finally p should range from 0 to 2.

However, the answers are the following:
8 ||| p^2 sin(phi) dp d(phi) d(theta) (note: using "|||" for triple integral)

with these limits of integration:
0 <= theta <= pi/2
0 <= phi <= pi/2
0 <= p <= 2

Of these, I only got the limit for p correct. Can someone explain with theta and phi are only from 0 to pi/2? Also, where did the 8 come from before the triple integral?

(b) Using a similar approach, I thought these should be limits of integration: 0 <= theta <= 2pi, 0 <= r <= 2, 0 <= z <= sqrt(4-r^2)

The correct answers are:
8 ||| r dz dr d(theta)

with these limits of integration:
0 <= theta <= pi/2
0 <= r <= 2
0 <= z <= sqrt(4-r^2)

Once again I have no idea how to get those correct limits for theta and z. Since the graph is a sphere, I thought theta has to range from 0 to 2pi. And again I don't know where the 8 is coming from.

I figure if I can understand these then rectangular coordinates shouldn't be much harder. Can anyone explain these to me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They are integrating over one octant of the sphere and then multiplying by 8. I don't know exactly why, but I guess they like to do it that way. Your solution is also correct, without the 8 factor. Except I would change the z range in cylindrical coordinates to -sqrt to +sqrt.

Oh I see, yeah that is weird, but thanks for the response!

Another quick question though if you don't mind answering:

Find the volume of the smaller region cut from the solid sphere p <= 2 by the plane z = 1.

So theta should still range from 0 to 2pi, right? And z should be from -sqrt(4-r^2) to sqrt(4-r^2) like in the problem I originally posted, right? But how do you get phi? I know it should start at 0, but this problem only asks for the smaller region (which is above the plane z = 1), so where does phi end? It would make sense to be somewhere between 0 and pi/2, but I'm not sure how to find where exactly is the top limit of phi.

Thanks again!

Draw a picture. If it's above z=1, then 1<=z<=sqrt(4-r^2), yes? You only need to worry about phi if you are in spherical coordinates. Then you use trig to find the angular value where z=1 and r=2. Don't get confused by the coordinate systems. r in cylindrical coordinates is a different animal from r in spherical coordinates.

What do you mean by use trig to find the angular value where z=1 and r=2? Is this for finding theta? Isn't theta the same for both cylindrical and spherical coordinates, so it would be 0 to 2pi? I'm a little unsure about r. r is the distance from the origin to the point, so would r range from 1 to 2?

DWill said:
What do you mean by use trig to find the angular value where z=1 and r=2? Is this for finding theta? Isn't theta the same for both cylindrical and spherical coordinates, so it would be 0 to 2pi?
If you notice, Dick is talking about phi not theta.
DWill said:
I'm a little unsure about r. r is the distance from the origin to the point, so would r range from 1 to 2?
The solid is a section cut from a solid sphere, what is the only condition you are given on r (aka [itex]\rho[/itex])?

DWill said:
What do you mean by use trig to find the angular value where z=1 and r=2? Is this for finding theta? Isn't theta the same for both cylindrical and spherical coordinates, so it would be 0 to 2pi? I'm a little unsure about r. r is the distance from the origin to the point, so would r range from 1 to 2?

I should probably have said that the phi limit is defined by the intersection of the plane z=1 and the sphere p=2 (and not mixed up r and p). But notice within the integration range of phi, the lower limit of p depends on phi. A picture would really help. Did you sketch one?

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They are defined by a distance from the origin (r), an angle from the z-axis (θ), and an angle from the x-axis (φ). These coordinates are often used in physics and engineering to describe objects with spherical symmetry.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following equations:

r = √(x² + y² + z²)

θ = arctan(y/x)

φ = arccos(z/r)

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are useful when dealing with objects that have cylindrical symmetry, such as cylinders or cones. They also simplify certain calculations, such as finding the volume of a cone or cylinder.

4. How do you calculate a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

To calculate a triple integral in spherical coordinates, you can use the following formula:

∫∫∫f(x, y, z)dV = ∫∫∫f(r, θ, φ)r²sin(φ)drdθdφ

5. Can you use both spherical and cylindrical coordinates in the same problem?

Yes, it is possible to use both spherical and cylindrical coordinates in the same problem. This is especially useful when dealing with objects that have both spherical and cylindrical symmetry. However, it is important to properly define the coordinate system and make sure the equations are consistent with each other.