Triplet S-wave (l = 0) phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy

KrSolving for K, we get:K^2 = (2mE - 4V0|T=0|)/hbar^2Using this expression for K, we can then use the matching condition at r = b to solve for the phase shift δ. The matching condition gives us the equation:Kcot(Kb) = kcot(kb + δ)Substituting in our expression for K and solving for δ, we get:δ = tan^-1[(bK - kb)/2]Finally, we can use this value of δ to calculate the scattering length a by using the relation:a = -tan(δ)/KPlugging in our expressions for δ and K,
wdednam

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triplet S-wave (l = 0) phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy assuming the interaction potential is given by a square well of depth V0 = 38.5 MeV and width b = 1.73 fm. Deduce also the value of the triplet scattering length.

Homework Equations

Normalized S-wave triplet wavefunction [itex]\varphi[/itex] = 1/√(4∏)×u(r)/r×|S=1>|T=0>

where u(r) = A1sinKr and K2 = M(E-V(r))/hbar2 for r < b
and u(r) = A2sin(kr + δ) and k2 = ME/hbar2

and M = mass of proton = mass of neutron and δ = phase shift

V(r) = -V0 - V0([itex]\tau[/itex]1[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]2) for r < b
and V(r) = 0 for r > b

and [itex]\tau[/itex]1[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]2 is the isospin operator that distinguishes between the singlet |T=0> and triplet |T=1> isospin components of the neutron-proton wavefunction and have eigenvalues:

[itex]\tau[/itex]1[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]2|T=0> = -3|T=0>

[itex]\tau[/itex]1[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]2|T=1> = 1|T=1>

Matching condition for radial components of wave function at r = b:

KcotKb = kcot(kb + δ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't use the matching condition directly to give me the triplet phase shift because that hasn't worked. So I got a hint from my lecturer to include the isopin component of the triplet wave function and solve the schrodinger equation for that. When I apply the potential operator V(r) = -V0 - V0([itex]\tau[/itex]1[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]2) to the wave function however it gives me the dispersion relation

K2 = M(E-2V0)/hbar2 which when I take the limit E --> 0 has a negative number under the square root, so I can't even use it in the matching condition and solve for δ.

I am really stumped on this one and would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! To evaluate the triplet S-wave phase shift in n-p scattering, we can start by writing the Schrodinger equation for the system:

(-hbar^2/2m) d^2u(r)/dr^2 + [V0 + V0(\tau1\bullet\tau2)]u(r) = E u(r)

where m is the reduced mass of the system. Since we are considering the S-wave (l=0), we can use the normalized S-wave triplet wave function given in the homework equations:

\varphi = 1/√(4∏)×u(r)/r×|S=1>|T=0>

Substituting this into the Schrodinger equation and using the given potential, we get:

(-hbar^2/2m)[d^2u(r)/dr^2 + (V0 + V0(\tau1\bullet\tau2))u(r)] = E u(r)

Next, we can use the fact that the isospin operator \tau1\bullet\tau2 has eigenvalues -3 for |T=0> and 1 for |T=1>, to simplify the equation:

(-hbar^2/2m)[d^2u(r)/dr^2 + (V0 - 3V0)|T=0>u(r) + (V0 + V0)|T=1>u(r)] = E u(r)

Simplifying further, we get:

(-hbar^2/2m)[d^2u(r)/dr^2 + 2V0|T=0>u(r)] = E u(r)

Now, we can solve this equation for the S-wave triplet wave function u(r) using the boundary conditions given in the homework equations. For r < b, we have:

(-hbar^2/2m)[d^2u(r)/dr^2 + 2V0|T=0>u(r)] = E u(r)

(-hbar^2/2m)[d^2(A1sinKr)/dr^2 + 2V0|T=0|A1sinKr] = E A1sinKr

Simplifying, we get:

(-hbar^2/2m)[A1K^2sinKr - 2V0|T=0|A1sinKr] = E A

1. What is the significance of the Triplet S-wave phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy?

The Triplet S-wave (l = 0) phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy is an important quantity for understanding the interactions between a neutron and a proton at low energies. This phase shift is a measure of the deviation in the scattered wave from the incident wave due to the strong nuclear forces between the two particles. It provides insight into the nature of the nuclear forces and can be used to determine the scattering cross section, which is crucial for many nuclear reactions and energy production processes.

2. How is the Triplet S-wave phase shift calculated in n-p scattering at low energy?

The Triplet S-wave phase shift is calculated using the partial wave analysis method, which involves separating the total wave function into different angular momentum components. In the case of n-p scattering at low energy, only the S-wave (l = 0) component is considered. The phase shift is then determined by comparing the scattered wave function to the incident wave function and calculating the difference in their phase angles.

3. What factors affect the Triplet S-wave phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy?

The Triplet S-wave phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the incident particles, the scattering angle, and the nuclear potential between the neutron and proton. The phase shift also depends on the quantum numbers of the particles, such as their spin, isospin, and parity.

4. How does the Triplet S-wave phase shift at low energy differ from other phases shifts in n-p scattering?

The Triplet S-wave phase shift at low energy is specific to the S-wave (l = 0) component of n-p scattering. Other phase shifts, such as the P-wave (l = 1) or D-wave (l = 2) phase shifts, correspond to different angular momentum components and have different values. Additionally, the Triplet S-wave phase shift is the dominant phase shift at low energies, while other phase shifts become more significant at higher energies.

5. What is the current understanding of the Triplet S-wave phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy?

The Triplet S-wave phase shift in n-p scattering at low energy has been extensively studied and is well understood within the framework of nuclear physics. It has been accurately measured and is consistent with theoretical predictions from models such as the Yukawa potential and the meson exchange theory. Recent advancements in experimental techniques and theoretical calculations have further improved our understanding of this phase shift and its role in nuclear interactions.