1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble calculating the acceleration

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone I need some help with a problem. I am having trouble calculating the acceleration since I dont the the initial velocity.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are driving on the highway when you come across a speedometer test where the distances are maked on signs. When you pass the 0 mile marker, rather than holding your speed constant you press on the accelarator and hold it constant. You pass the 0.1 mile marker 16 s later, and the 0.2 mile marker 8 seconds after the 0.1 marker. a) What did you speedometer read at the 0.2 mile? b) what was your acceleration?

2. Relevant equations
    d=v/t
    d=0.2 miles=322m
    time=24 s
    3. The attempt at a solution
    a) 322m=v/24s
    V=13m/s
    b) For the acceleration I am not sure.

Thank you for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Acceleration

If it's accelerating you CAN'T use v=d/t (and you can't use d=v/t anywhere. It's wrong). You have to use d=v0*t+(1/2)*a*t^2 where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration. Now if you put in the two given time points, you have two equations in the two unknowns v0 and a. Solve for them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?