Troubleshooting Gear Pitch and Belt Compatibility for a Stepper Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a conveyor belt or alternative method to turn a knob using a small stepper motor with a 48 pitch gear attached. Various suggestions are made, such as using a toothed belt or string, but the most feasible solution is to create a custom coupling to directly connect the motor to the knob. The conversation also mentions the use of stepper motors and toothed belts in inkjet printers or scanners as a possible source for parts.
UR_Correct
Hello all!

I am usually lurking and posting around the EE side of physics forums, but I have a project that deals with a little bit of mechanical stuff (please move this thread if I'm in the wrong place), and the mechanical aspect of engineering certainly isn't my forte.

To be as superficial as possible, I bought a small stepper motor that has a 48 pitch gear attached to it. Here is a link to it:

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=168

What I need is a sort of conveyor belt type of thing that will mesh will with this gear. I've been looking up "48 pitch belts" or "48 teeth/inch belts" on google to no avail.

I essentially need this to turn a knob that sort of looks like this (I want to turn the 3-clover looking thing off to the side of the gears in this picture):

http://www.musiciansheaven.net/pics/142C1.jpg

In fact, it looks just like that. Because the gears on those tuning knobs are of a different type and most likely different pitch, I was thinking of buying a higher diameter 48 pitch gear and try to jimmy rig it (i.e., super glue the sh*t out of it) to the large 3-clover looking knob.

This is apart of a project for school, and the prof really only cares about the electrical part (which I have working beautifully), so I don't need this mechanical stuff to be too fancy. I just need the knob to turn with the motor. It's the last phase of my project, and I'm running out of ideas.

So, do these conveyor belt things exist? If so, how are they classified? Perhaps this isn't the best way to go about it? Any better ideas to turn the knob with this motor?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Look inside an inkjet printer or a scanner and you will find stepper motors driving toothed belts. That may point you in the right direction for buying parts, or you might find an old printer that you can cannibalize.

UR_Correct said:
What I need is a sort of conveyor belt type of thing that will mesh will with this gear. I've been looking up "48 pitch belts" or "48 teeth/inch belts" on google to no avail.

That gear is probably meant to mesh with another gear and I doubt you'll even be able to put a rubber belt on it even if you could find one.

One way would be a string instead of a belt. You can use a couple of turns around a rubber pulley to stop it slipping. Or, if the range of rotation is limited, tie the string to the pulley as well.

But I think the most robust and possibly easiest way is to make a custom coupling to connect the motor directly to the cut-off knob. Just get a short steel rod and drill a hole in each end for the two shafts. Then lock it to the shafts with a pin through a cross-hole.

1. What is gear pitch?

Gear pitch refers to the distance between the teeth on a gear. It is typically measured in millimeters and plays a crucial role in determining the gear ratio and overall performance of a gear system.

2. How does gear pitch affect performance?

Gear pitch is directly related to the gear ratio, which determines how much force and speed is transferred between gears. A smaller gear pitch results in a higher gear ratio, which can provide more torque but at a lower speed. Similarly, a larger gear pitch results in a lower gear ratio and more speed but less torque.

3. What is the difference between a synchronous and non-synchronous gear system?

In a synchronous gear system, the gears have the same pitch and rotate at the same speed, resulting in a constant gear ratio. In a non-synchronous system, the gears have different pitches and can rotate at different speeds, potentially resulting in varying gear ratios.

4. How does belt tension affect gear performance?

Belt tension is crucial in maintaining the proper gear ratio and preventing slippage between the gears and the belt. If the belt is too loose, the gear ratio may be affected, and if it is too tight, it can cause excessive wear and tear on the gears and belt.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a belt for a gear system?

When selecting a belt for a gear system, factors such as the required gear ratio, power transmission needs, and operating conditions (temperature, speed, etc.) should be taken into account. Additionally, the belt material, width, and tension also play a role in determining the overall performance and longevity of the gear system.