True or False: Joint CDF Has Only One Global Max?

In summary, it is not possible for a continuous joint CDF to have multiple separate peaks where the CDF reaches a maximum of 1. The CDF is monotonically non-decreasing, so any "peaks" would have to be continuous and not separate. This concept is also supported by the fact that any discontinuities in distribution functions can only be jump ups with increasing arguments.
crbazevedo
True or false: "Every joint CDF has only one global maximum at F(x1*, ..., xn*) = 1?

I know that the multivariate CDF is monotonically non-decreasing in each of its variables. But does that imply that it has only one global maximum? Is it possible to have two or more separate peaks where the densities sum to one, given that there is no total order in a multidimensional space R^n? I'd guess the answer to this last question is "yes", but I can't figure it out by my own. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

There is only one max, when all arguments become infinite. It is of course possible to achieve this earlier, but it can't go downhill from there - so the function could have a sort of plateau shape.

Example: F(x,y)
Theorem: assume x1 < x2 and y1 < y2, then F(x1,y1) ≤ F(x2,y2).
Proof: F(x1,y1) ≤ F(x1,y2) ≤ F(x2,y2)

The existence of plateaus is something I had noticed empirically before. Your example confirms this, what is great, thanks.

Now I'm wondering whether it is possible for a continuous joint CDF to have a discrete set of k separate maxima, say {(x1*,y1*), ..., (xk*,yk*)}, each of which yelding F(x1*,y1*) = ... = F(xk*,yk*) = 1.

Also, would you point me out any textbooks with examples such like yours? I'm particularly interested in partial order statistics in R^n.

Thanks once again.

Last edited:

Well, let me roughly define what I mean by "separate":

Without loss of generality, I say that two points x, y in R are "separated" if there exist 0 < epslon < ||x - y|| in R, so that the intersection between A = {x + epslon, x - epslon} and B = {y + epslon, y - epslon} is empty, where ||x - y|| is the Euclidian norm.

I've badly defined this awkard concept in an attempt of excluding the case of continuous platous. Apologizes if this does not make sense (I'm not a mathematician), but I hope it may convey what I mean by "separate peaks".

Thinking a little more about it, based on @mathman's reply, I now think it's impossible to have n+1 separate global maxima in R^n, because the joint CDF is non-decreasing. But in my mental experiment, I still can visualize a 3D shape corresponding to a bivariate CDF in which it is possible to exist two separate peaks.

Now, if I'm not under the effects of any hallucinogen substances, then, the question would be if this in fact can happen in practice.

Last edited:

Any discontinuities in distribution functions can only by jump ups with increasing argument.

If F(x1,y1)=F(x2,y2)=1, then for all x > x1, F(x,y1)=1, etc.

If by two separate peaks you mean two separate places where the CDF "first" reaches F=1, no it's not possible.

Suppose that F(x1,y2)=1 and F(x2,y1)=1 but F(x1,y1)<1 where x1<x2 and y1<y2. Since F is non-decreasing we have F(x2,y2)=1. But this implies that P(x1<X<=x2,y1<X<=y2) = F(x2,y2)-F(x1,y2)-F(x2,y1)+F(x1,y1) < 0, a contradiction, so F(x1,y1)=1.

1. What is a joint CDF?

A joint CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) is a mathematical function that gives the probability that a random variable takes on a value less than or equal to a given input value. It is used to describe the distribution of two or more random variables.

2. What is a global max in the context of a joint CDF?

A global max (maximum) in the context of a joint CDF refers to the highest point on the CDF curve, where the probability of the random variables taking on a certain value is the highest. This means that the joint CDF has reached its peak and will not increase any further.

3. Does a joint CDF always have only one global max?

No, a joint CDF can have more than one global max. This happens when the distribution of the random variables is bimodal or when there are multiple points where the probability is equal to the highest value. In these cases, the joint CDF will have multiple peaks.

4. What factors affect the number of global maxima in a joint CDF?

The number of global maxima in a joint CDF is affected by the distribution of the random variables. As mentioned before, a bimodal distribution or multiple points with equal probabilities can result in more than one global max. Additionally, the correlation between the random variables can also influence the number of global maxima.

5. How is the global max of a joint CDF useful in data analysis?

The global max of a joint CDF can provide important insights into the relationship between two or more variables. It can help identify the most probable values for the variables and their correlation. This information can be useful in making predictions and decisions based on the data.