Solving a Truss Reaction Problem: Find Reactions & Moment

In summary, if you cut the horizontal rope, you must replace the cut with appropriate forces. If you cut the vertical rope to the left of A, you must replace the cut with a force of 2500 lb in the +Y Direction on the left, and a force of -2500 lb in the -Y Direction on the right.
Deimos0239
I have a little bit of an issue. I am trying to find the reactions on this truss. I know there are x and y at the first and y at the 2nd on the truss. But when I create my moment, do it take the 2500 lb into effect for the rope across the top and side as well? or do i omit those?

My thought would be a Y force of 2500 in the +Y Direction on the left, a +x force of 2500 at the top and a -Y force of 2500 on the right? Is that correct?

The only reason I ask is when I compute the moment at point a using the numbers I have, my Y reaction at A and B are the same and HUGE (over 10k) and my X component at A is 2500.

(Sorry the pic isn't that great. I don't have a scanner to show the actual problem but this is pretty close.)

Attachments

• truss.jpg
    truss.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
What you must be clear about is the object boundaries for which you wish to make an equilibrium statement. If you cut the structure at B, you rightly say that you replace the cut with a By force. At A the cut gives you an Ax and an Ay, as you have said. If you cut the horizontal rope, you must replace the cut with appropriate forces. In this case, there is little point because the forces are equal and opposite. But if you cut the vertical rope to the left of A, What is the magnitude and direction of the force you must replace the cut with?. Again the answer is two equal and opposite forces, one acting on the ground (the foundation), and one acting on your superstructure. Armed with that conclusion, you have enough information to sole the problem.

Thanks for that information. I just wasn't sure when taking my torque (moment) around A if I should be including a force for the top rope or not..including that will change my numbers by roughly 3700 lbs...

Related to Solving a Truss Reaction Problem: Find Reactions & Moment

1. What is a truss reaction problem?

A truss reaction problem involves determining the forces and moments acting on a truss structure, which is a type of framework commonly used in engineering and construction. These reactions are important for understanding the stability and structural integrity of the truss.

2. How do you find the reactions in a truss problem?

To find the reactions in a truss problem, you need to use equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a structure must equal zero. By analyzing the forces and moments acting on each joint of the truss, you can solve for the unknown reactions.

3. What is the difference between a reaction force and a moment in a truss problem?

A reaction force is a force that occurs at a support or joint of the truss, while a moment is a rotational force. In other words, a reaction force is a push or pull on a specific point, while a moment is a twisting or turning force around that point.

4. What information do I need to solve a truss reaction problem?

You will need to know the geometry and dimensions of the truss, as well as the external loads acting on the truss. This includes the magnitude and direction of any applied forces and moments, as well as the location of these loads on the truss.

5. What are some common methods for solving truss reaction problems?

Some common methods for solving truss reaction problems include the method of joints, where you analyze the forces at each joint of the truss, and the method of sections, where you cut the truss into smaller sections and analyze the forces and moments acting on each section. Other methods include the use of equations of equilibrium and the method of virtual work.