Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying out for Jeopardy

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    So, I figure there's a lot of smart, ambitious people on here. Has anyone ever tried to audition for a game show like Jeopardy? Or any game show for that matter.

I went and saw the Price is Right last year live, but I didn't get called onto stage. Tonight I'm doing an online audition test for Jeopardy.

Anyone else tried? Or interested in trying? Why or why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd be too slow.

Good luck!!

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I enjoy watching Jeopardy for the mental exercise, but I'm not good enough in the broad range of categories that they use to be a candidate to make the show. I do real well usually in technical and medical categories, though. :smile:

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4
    Haha... well I just did it... And I'm slow too! There were quite a few questions I just didn't know, but there were also a few that I knew the answer 2 seconds after time was up. Don't expect to see me on TV any time soon!

I think I'll stick to the "mental exercise" of watching it on TV like berkeman.

6. Oct 9, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aw, too bad - I was rooting for you!

What's the try-out link?

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
    The key to winning at trivia is having enough knowledge in different things to be able to make good guesses. You might not know the answer, but you may know the probable answer.
    I also noticed a strategy that Ken Jennings used was he buzzed in immediately and then used the post-buzz time to think of the answer.

But I'd never be good at Jeopardy because I'm terrible under pressure. If I'm suddenly under pressure to do anything, I go into a vegetative state.

8. Oct 9, 2012 #7
    Well... http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/contestantsearches/ [Broken]

But there's no try out link per se.

You have to register in advance, then they schedule online tests. They test by category and apparently adults can only test once a year? This test was only open to cincinatti residents, or cleveland residents, or military members. I'm not sure if it's always like that, or what.

I definitely got questions right across the spectrum of categories, got some shakepeare right, some geography, some history, pop culture, etc... But I missed a bunch too. Some I knew the answers to but couldn't think of them in the allotted time.

I think if I was going to actually be on the show, I'd have to study! haha.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Oct 10, 2012 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I've been trying to get on 16 and pregnant for a while now. Not really a game show but the competition is tough in the US. Phew.

10. Oct 10, 2012 #9
    Never tried out for any show, let alone be on one. Yet, I have known a showcase winner for the price is right, and someone I know won a trip on lets make a deal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook