Trying to Make It on Jeopardy: Anyone Else?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, someone tried to audition for a game show like Jeopardy, but wasn't successful. They think they would be too slow.
Gale
So, I figure there's a lot of smart, ambitious people on here. Has anyone ever tried to audition for a game show like Jeopardy? Or any game show for that matter.

I went and saw the Price is Right last year live, but I didn't get called onto stage. Tonight I'm doing an online audition test for Jeopardy.

Anyone else tried? Or interested in trying? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be too slow.

Good luck!

I enjoy watching Jeopardy for the mental exercise, but I'm not good enough in the broad range of categories that they use to be a candidate to make the show. I do real well usually in technical and medical categories, though. :smile:

Evo said:
I'd be too slow.

Good luck!

Haha... well I just did it... And I'm slow too! There were quite a few questions I just didn't know, but there were also a few that I knew the answer 2 seconds after time was up. Don't expect to see me on TV any time soon!

I think I'll stick to the "mental exercise" of watching it on TV like berkeman.

Gale said:
Haha... well I just did it... And I'm slow too! There were quite a few questions I just didn't know, but there were also a few that I knew the answer 2 seconds after time was up. Don't expect to see me on TV any time soon!

I think I'll stick to the "mental exercise" of watching it on TV like berkeman.

Aw, too bad - I was rooting for you!

What's the try-out link?

The key to winning at trivia is having enough knowledge in different things to be able to make good guesses. You might not know the answer, but you may know the probable answer.
I also noticed a strategy that Ken Jennings used was he buzzed in immediately and then used the post-buzz time to think of the answer.

But I'd never be good at Jeopardy because I'm terrible under pressure. If I'm suddenly under pressure to do anything, I go into a vegetative state.

lisab said:
Aw, too bad - I was rooting for you!

What's the try-out link?

Well... http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/contestantsearches/

But there's no try out link per se.

You have to register in advance, then they schedule online tests. They test by category and apparently adults can only test once a year? This test was only open to cincinatti residents, or cleveland residents, or military members. I'm not sure if it's always like that, or what.

I definitely got questions right across the spectrum of categories, got some shakepeare right, some geography, some history, pop culture, etc... But I missed a bunch too. Some I knew the answers to but couldn't think of them in the allotted time.

I think if I was going to actually be on the show, I'd have to study! haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to get on 16 and pregnant for a while now. Not really a game show but the competition is tough in the US. Phew.

Never tried out for any show, let alone be on one. Yet, I have known a showcase winner for the price is right, and someone I know won a trip on let's make a deal.

1. What are the most important qualities for someone trying to make it on Jeopardy?

The most important qualities for someone trying to make it on Jeopardy are knowledge, quick thinking, and strong buzzer skills. Contestants must have a vast knowledge base in various subjects, as well as the ability to recall information quickly and accurately. They must also have good reflexes and timing when using the buzzer to answer questions.

2. How can I prepare for the show?

The best way to prepare for Jeopardy is to study a wide range of topics and practice answering questions quickly. Reading books, watching documentaries, and playing trivia games are all great ways to expand your knowledge base. You can also try practicing with a buzzer to improve your reflexes.

3. Is there a specific format for auditioning for Jeopardy?

Yes, the audition process for Jeopardy typically involves an online test, followed by an in-person audition for those who pass the test. The in-person audition includes a mock game and a brief interview. Participants are chosen based on their performance in these auditions.

4. How can I improve my chances of being selected as a contestant?

In addition to having a strong knowledge base and quick reflexes, it can be helpful to have a unique and interesting personality. Jeopardy producers are looking for well-rounded contestants who are engaging and entertaining on camera. Additionally, being active on social media and having a strong online presence can also increase your chances of being selected.

5. How much money can I expect to win on Jeopardy?

The amount of money a contestant can win on Jeopardy varies, but the average payout for a single game is around $20,000. However, the show also offers special tournaments and events where contestants can win larger sums of money. The all-time highest winning contestant on Jeopardy, Ken Jennings, won over $2.5 million during his 74-game winning streak.