Trying to Find the Type of Chart I'm Looking At

In summary, the attached image is a heat map generated in Excel from weather data files. It represents temperature over time, with the y-axis corresponding to the time of day and the x-axis corresponding to the time of year. This type of data representation is called a "Heat Map" and it is commonly used for visualizing time series data. There are tutorials available online for generating this type of graph, such as the one mentioned in the conversation.
James Brady
The attached Image is a for some kind of heat map of temperature with the y-axis corresponding to the time of day and the x-axis corresponding to the time of year. It was generated in Excel from weather data files.

What is this type of data representation called? I've seen the same type of chart used for solar radiation as well. If you can point me to a tutorial on how to generate this type of graph, that would be :ok: too.

Attachments

• DryBulbTemp.png
    DryBulbTemp.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 605
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
@Tom G Thanks much, really good video.

In case you're interested, the instructor was modeling a heat map in excel and I couldn't find a chart feature which did that. Turns out he used each individual cell as a colored pixel with 24 rows and 365 columns.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the purpose of trying to find the type of chart I'm looking at?

The purpose of identifying the type of chart is to accurately communicate and present data in a visual format. Different types of charts are designed to display different types of data, so it is important to choose the appropriate one to effectively convey the information.

2. How do I determine the type of chart I'm looking at?

To determine the type of chart, you can start by analyzing the visual elements, such as the type of axes, labels, and data points. You can also consider the context of the data being presented and the purpose of the chart. Consulting a chart type guide or reaching out to a data visualization expert can also be helpful.

3. What are some common types of charts and their uses?

Some common types of charts include bar charts, line graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms. Bar charts are useful for comparing data between categories, while line graphs show trends over time. Pie charts are best for showing a part-to-whole relationship, and scatter plots are used to analyze relationships between two variables. Histograms display the distribution of data.

4. Can I use multiple chart types in one visualization?

Yes, you can combine different chart types in one visualization to present complex data or show multiple perspectives. However, it is important to ensure that the charts complement each other and do not create confusion for the audience.

5. What other factors should I consider when choosing a chart type?

In addition to the type of data being presented, other factors to consider include the audience, the purpose of the chart, and the overall design and aesthetics. It is important to choose a chart that will be easily understood by the intended audience and effectively convey the message you want to communicate.