Trying to make an electromagnetic shaker device

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an electromagnetic shaker using an iron core and solenoid, powered by AC. The feasibility of this approach is being considered, with the suggestion of using a variable speed DC motor with an eccentric weight as a potential alternative. The precise requirements, such as power, speed, and distance, are not specified. The conversation also mentions that a speaker can also function as a shaker, but may not be suitable for heavier objects.
derekmatthew
Hello, I'm trying to make an electromagnetic shaker but I'm not sure if this is possible? Basically I want to wrap an iron core with a solenoid and use AC to shake a magnet at some distance away. I'm not certain on the approach at the moment but I'm kind of looking at the feasibility at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to shake something at a variable and controllable rate then a variable speed DC motor with an eccentric weight on the shaft will satisfy many requirements. Crude but very effective and will work at a range of powers. 500W Brushless motors are available for small machine tools and they work well. The motor can be fixed rigidly and the eccentric can be at the end of a flexible shaft if you need high power.
Driving a solenoid with a variable low frequency power signal is nothing like as convenient.
What is the precise requirement?

Feasibility depends on the power and the distance.

What are you trying to shake?
How fast?
What distance?

As @Bystander said, a speaker is a shaker. But if you want to shake a ton of gravel that's very different.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. How does an electromagnetic shaker device work?

An electromagnetic shaker device works by using an electromagnetic coil to create a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with a permanent magnet attached to a vibrating plate, causing it to vibrate at a high frequency.

2. What materials are needed to build an electromagnetic shaker device?

To build an electromagnetic shaker device, you will need an electromagnetic coil, a permanent magnet, a power source, and a vibrating plate. You may also need additional materials such as wires, a circuit board, and a casing to house the device.

3. What are the applications of an electromagnetic shaker device?

An electromagnetic shaker device can be used in various applications such as vibration testing, material testing, and particle separation. It can also be used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and pharmaceuticals for quality control purposes.

4. How can I control the frequency and intensity of the vibrations produced by an electromagnetic shaker device?

The frequency and intensity of the vibrations can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field produced by the electromagnetic coil and the distance between the coil and the permanent magnet. You can also use a power source with variable voltage and current to control the vibrations.

5. Is it safe to use an electromagnetic shaker device?

Yes, it is generally safe to use an electromagnetic shaker device as long as proper safety precautions are taken. The device should be handled with care, and the power source should be unplugged when not in use. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for safe operation.