1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to Prove Uniform Convergence: Analysis II

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a solution to the following problem. I feel it is somewhat questionable though

If fn converges uniformly to f, i.e. fn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ and
    gn converges uniformly to g, i.e. gn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ ,

Prove that fngn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] fg

The domain is ℝ for all functions.

3. The attempt at a solution

If f and g are uniformly continuous, then for any ε>0, there is an N for which n[itex]\geq[/itex]N implies | fn - f | < ε. The same for g.

This is my idea:

For any given ε >0, find N such that for n>N, |fn-f| < ε1, and |gn-f| < ε1. This ε1 should be made very small, such that:

|fngn - fg| = | (f+ε1)(g+ε1) - fg|
    = | f*g + f*ε1 + g*ε1 + (ε1)2 - fg|
    The ε1 terms can be made very small as needed, such that:
    = | f*g + [STRIKE]f*ε1[/STRIKE] +[STRIKE] g*ε1[/STRIKE] + [STRIKE](ε1)2[/STRIKE] - fg| < ε

Agree, or disagree? Secondly, is there a shorter, simpler method? Thanks.
    --Abraham

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I probably should refrain from answering this because I have to leave momentarily. But my suggestion is that you need to state the question more carefully to begin with. I think you are confusing the ideas of uniform continuity and uniform convergence. You haven't told us what ##f_n\rightarrow f## means. Pointwise convergence? Uniform convergence? Any information about the domain? Problems like this are frequently addressed by adding and subtracting terms:$$|f_ng_n-fg|
    =|f_ng_n-f_ng+f_ng-fg|$$ and working with that.

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I wrote the problem incorrectly. I meant to write:

fn converges uniformly to f, i.e. fn→f.

I don't know why I wrote "uniformly continuous" instead.....

I see what you mean though, adding and subtracting quantities. I'll start with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook