Trying to Prove Uniform Convergence: Analysis II

In summary: If f and g are uniformly continuous, then for any ε>0, there is an N for which n\geqN implies | fn - f | < ε. The same for g.This is my idea: For any given ε >0, find N such that for n>N, |fn-f| < ε1, and |gn-f| < ε1. This ε1 should be made very small, such that:|fngn - fg| = | (f+ε1)(g+ε1) - fg|
Abraham

Homework Statement

I have a solution to the following problem. I feel it is somewhat questionable though

If fn converges uniformly to f, i.e. fn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ and
gn converges uniformly to g, i.e. gn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ ,

Prove that fngn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] fg

The domain is ℝ for all functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

If f and g are uniformly continuous, then for any ε>0, there is an N for which n[itex]\geq[/itex]N implies | fn - f | < ε. The same for g.

This is my idea:

For any given ε >0, find N such that for n>N, |fn-f| < ε1, and |gn-f| < ε1. This ε1 should be made very small, such that:

|fngn - fg| = | (f+ε1)(g+ε1) - fg|
= | f*g + f*ε1 + g*ε1 + (ε1)2 - fg|
The ε1 terms can be made very small as needed, such that:
= | f*g + [STRIKE]f*ε1[/STRIKE] +[STRIKE] g*ε1[/STRIKE] + [STRIKE](ε1)2[/STRIKE] - fg| < ε

Agree, or disagree? Secondly, is there a shorter, simpler method? Thanks.
--Abraham

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abraham said:

Homework Statement

I have a solution to the following problem. I feel it is somewhat questionable though

If f is uniformly continuous, i.e. fn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ and
g is uniformly continuous, i.e. gn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]f as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ ,

Prove that fngn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] fg

The Attempt at a Solution

If f and g are uniformly continuous, then for any ε>0, there is an N for which n[itex]\geq[/itex]N implies | fn - f | < ε. The same for g.

This is my idea:

For any given ε >0, find N such that for n>N, |fn-f| < ε1, and |gn-f| < ε1.

I probably should refrain from answering this because I have to leave momentarily. But my suggestion is that you need to state the question more carefully to begin with. I think you are confusing the ideas of uniform continuity and uniform convergence. You haven't told us what ##f_n\rightarrow f## means. Pointwise convergence? Uniform convergence? Any information about the domain? Problems like this are frequently addressed by adding and subtracting terms:$$|f_ng_n-fg|
=|f_ng_n-f_ng+f_ng-fg|$$ and working with that.

Sorry, I wrote the problem incorrectly. I meant to write:

fn converges uniformly to f, i.e. fn→f.

I don't know why I wrote "uniformly continuous" instead...

I see what you mean though, adding and subtracting quantities. I'll start with that.

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions converges to a single function at a uniform rate across its entire domain. This means that for any given small tolerance, there exists a point in the domain after which all the functions in the sequence will be within that tolerance of the limiting function.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence only requires that the functions in a sequence converge to the limiting function at each individual point in the domain. This means that the rate of convergence can vary at different points. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, requires the convergence to be uniform across the entire domain.

3. Why is uniform convergence important?

Uniform convergence is important because it ensures that the limiting function is continuous and that it preserves certain properties of the original functions, such as differentiability and integrability. This makes it a useful concept in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. How do you prove uniform convergence?

To prove uniform convergence, one must show that for any given small tolerance, there exists a point in the domain after which all the functions in the sequence will be within that tolerance of the limiting function. This can be done using various techniques such as the Cauchy criterion, the Weierstrass M-test, or the Cauchy integral test.

5. What are some common examples of uniformly convergent sequences of functions?

Some common examples of uniformly convergent sequences of functions include power series, Fourier series, and Taylor series. These are all important in various areas of mathematics and can be proven to converge uniformly using the techniques mentioned above.