1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand a reading on Moseley and the X-ray Spectra

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    I was wondering why Henry Moseley ploted [tex]\sqrt{f} vs. Z[/tex] instead of just [tex]f vs. Z[/tex]. I'm guessing it is because this way, the graph of [tex]\sqrt{f} vs. Z[/tex] would be linear? But if it was just [tex]f vs. Z[/tex], wouldnt the equation just be exponential?

Also, what is the significance of the L seriese and the K seriese? The K seriese describes the atomic transitions to vacancies in the n=1 shell where the L seriese describes the transition to the n=2 vacancy right? So by Moseley's plot, i see that there is a lower frequency for the K-seriese which means that more energy is released right? But what I really dont understand is why [tex]b=7.4[/tex] for the L seriese and [tex]b=1[/tex] for the K seriese. This is something my book does not explain. and why (Z-b)?

why where there gaps in Moseley's experiment such that argon fell into Z=18? and I dont understand what exactly Auger did to help this out. All i got out of the book was that there is a third electon? I think the elements that Auger used were Cu and Al to help out Moseley's expirments?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Quick response to the first question. The frequency of the X-ray (or photon in general) is proportional to Z2 in the hydrogen atom, or for K electrons. The significance of the K and L shells (principal quantum numbers, n = 1 and 2, respectively) have to do with the energies of the transitions to those orbits. K series X-rays should have higher frequency/shorter wavelength than L-series X-rays.

The K electrons are in the first shell and thus exposed to the full nuclear charge. The L electrons are shielded by the K electrons and partially by other L-electrons, hence the correction on Z.

More later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?