Trying to understand a reading on Moseley and the X-ray Spectra

In summary, Henry Moseley plotted \sqrt{f} vs. Z instead of just f vs. Z because it results in a linear graph. The significance of the K and L seriese is that they describe atomic transitions to different vacancies in different shells. Moseley's plot showed a lower frequency for the K seriese, indicating more energy released. The values of b=7.4 for the L seriese and b=1 for the K seriese are not fully explained in the book. There were gaps in Moseley's experiment that led to argon being classified under Z=18. Auger used elements such as Cu and Al to assist in Moseley's experiments, but the exact contribution of a third
UrbanXrisis
I was wondering why Henry Moseley ploted [tex]\sqrt{f} vs. Z[/tex] instead of just [tex]f vs. Z[/tex]. I'm guessing it is because this way, the graph of [tex]\sqrt{f} vs. Z[/tex] would be linear? But if it was just [tex]f vs. Z[/tex], wouldn't the equation just be exponential?

Also, what is the significance of the L seriese and the K seriese? The K seriese describes the atomic transitions to vacancies in the n=1 shell where the L seriese describes the transition to the n=2 vacancy right? So by Moseley's plot, i see that there is a lower frequency for the K-seriese which means that more energy is released right? But what I really don't understand is why [tex]b=7.4[/tex] for the L seriese and [tex]b=1[/tex] for the K seriese. This is something my book does not explain. and why (Z-b)?

why where there gaps in Moseley's experiment such that argon fell into Z=18? and I don't understand what exactly Auger did to help this out. All i got out of the book was that there is a third electon? I think the elements that Auger used were Cu and Al to help out Moseley's expirments?

Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
I was wondering why Henry Moseley ploted [tex]\sqrt{f} vs. Z[/tex] instead of just [tex]f vs. Z[/tex]. I'm guessing it is because this way, the graph of [tex]\sqrt{f} vs. Z[/tex] would be linear? But if it was just [tex]f vs. Z[/tex], wouldn't the equation just be exponential?

Also, what is the significance of the L seriese and the K seriese? The K seriese describes the atomic transitions to vacancies in the n=1 shell where the L seriese describes the transition to the n=2 vacancy right? So by Moseley's plot, i see that there is a lower frequency for the K-seriese which means that more energy is released right? But what I really don't understand is why [tex]b=7.4[/tex] for the L seriese and [tex]b=1[/tex] for the K seriese. This is something my book does not explain. and why (Z-b)?

why where there gaps in Moseley's experiment such that argon fell into Z=18? and I don't understand what exactly Auger did to help this out. All i got out of the book was that there is a third electon? I think the elements that Auger used were Cu and Al to help out Moseley's expirments?
Quick response to the first question. The frequency of the X-ray (or photon in general) is proportional to Z2 in the hydrogen atom, or for K electrons. The significance of the K and L shells (principal quantum numbers, n = 1 and 2, respectively) have to do with the energies of the transitions to those orbits. K series X-rays should have higher frequency/shorter wavelength than L-series X-rays.

The K electrons are in the first shell and thus exposed to the full nuclear charge. The L electrons are shielded by the K electrons and partially by other L-electrons, hence the correction on Z.

More later.

1. How did Moseley contribute to our understanding of the X-ray spectra?

Moseley's experiments with X-ray spectra led to the discovery of a relationship between the atomic number of an element and the frequency of the X-rays it emits. This relationship, known as Moseley's Law, helped to refine the periodic table and led to a better understanding of the structure and properties of elements.

2. What is the significance of Moseley's Law in modern science?

Moseley's Law is significant because it helped to establish a more accurate and consistent organization of elements on the periodic table. It also provided evidence for the existence of atomic numbers and the concept of atomic structure, which are fundamental to our understanding of chemistry and physics.

3. How did Moseley's work with X-ray spectra impact the field of physics?

Moseley's experiments with X-ray spectra contributed to the development of quantum mechanics and led to a better understanding of atomic structure and the behavior of electrons. His work also paved the way for future discoveries in the field of nuclear physics.

4. What challenges did Moseley face in his research on X-ray spectra?

Moseley faced several challenges in his research, including technical difficulties with the equipment and potential health risks associated with working with X-rays. He also had to overcome skepticism from some of his peers who were resistant to new ideas and theories.

5. How has our understanding of X-ray spectra evolved since Moseley's contributions?

Since Moseley's experiments, our understanding of X-ray spectra has greatly advanced. New technologies and techniques have allowed for more precise measurements and analysis, leading to a deeper understanding of atomic structure and the properties of elements. Moseley's Law continues to be a fundamental concept in the study of X-ray spectra and has been expanded upon by further research and discoveries.