Tube Railing Travel: Can Small Gear Track Support 6' a Second?

In summary: The duty cycle and duration of use seem reasonable, but the distance of travel may also need to be adjusted depending on the limitations of the tubing and gear track. In summary, achieving a speed of 6 feet per second with a tube railing system incorporating gear track and drive motion on 1" to 1 1/2" steel tubing may not be possible without larger tubes and more durable gear components. Custom machining may also be necessary for proper mounting of the gear track.
Jokenda
I am considering a tube railing system to transport a carriage. It will incorporate gear track/gear drive motion. I wish to support this on 1" to 1 1/2" steel tubing. the rate of travel will be 6' a second.

Is this possible on such small deminsions. I have had experience on much larger tubing and the speed was not a factor. I fear the smaller gear and gear track will limit speed and duty cycle.

I am also having problems finding Gear Track and Drive gears. All I have found are plastic and I feel will not hold up.

Also, gear track found is for flat mounting and not concave to match tubing. I do not wish to employ costly machining to set Track.

Duty cycle will be 5 to 10 seconds with rests up to 10 seconds. Duration of use can be upto 24 hours but will be more aptly 8 hours.

Distance of travel 6', return 6'. (Complete Cycle.

Thank you,
Jokenda

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it is not likely that you will be able to achieve a speed of 6 feet per second with 1" to 1 1/2" steel tubing. You would need larger tubes for that kind of speed, as well as more robust gear track and drive gears. The plastic ones you have found likely won't hold up to that kind of use. Additionally, the concave shape of the tubing may also pose an issue when trying to mount the gear track. You may need to consider custom machining to fit the track to the tubing.

1. How does tube railing travel work?

Tube railing travel, also known as pneumatic tube transportation, uses compressed air to propel a small carrier or pod through a network of tubes at high speeds. The carrier is usually made of lightweight materials such as plastic or aluminum and is propelled by the difference in air pressure between the front and back of the carrier.

2. Can small gear track support speeds of 6 feet per second?

Yes, small gear track can support speeds of 6 feet per second. The speed capability of the gear track depends on factors such as the materials used, the design and construction of the track, and the weight of the carrier. With proper design and construction, small gear tracks can support even higher speeds.

3. What are the benefits of using tube railing travel?

There are several benefits to using tube railing travel, including faster transport times, reduced energy consumption, and lower maintenance costs. This mode of transportation also has a smaller carbon footprint compared to other forms of transportation, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

4. How is the safety of tube railing travel ensured?

The safety of tube railing travel is ensured through various measures, such as regular maintenance and inspections of the system, strict safety protocols and procedures, and the use of advanced technology to monitor and control the carrier's speed and location. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of the tubes and carriers are designed to withstand high speeds and pressures.

5. What are the potential applications of tube railing travel?

Tube railing travel has a wide range of potential applications, including transportation of small goods in warehouses, hospitals, and factories, and even passenger transportation in urban areas. It can also be used for transporting sensitive or hazardous materials, as the carrier is sealed and can be equipped with sensors to monitor conditions inside the tube during transport.