How Do You Calculate the Frequency of a Tuning Fork Using Water Resonance?

In summary, a tuning fork is held over a graduated cylinder that is slowly filled with water. Resonances are noted at 56.5cm and 17.5cm below the rim, with an end correction taken into account. Using the equations lambda = 4L and f = n(v/4L) with n=1,3,5..., the frequency of the tuning fork can be calculated.
mizzy

Homework Statement

A tuning fork is held over the top of a graduated cylinder that is slowly filled with water. Resonances are noted when the water level is 56.5cm and 17.5cm below the rim. Note that there is an end correction , meaning that the effective length of the air column is longer than the observed length by a fixed constant amount. If the speed of sound is 343m/s, then find the frequency of the tuning fork.

Homework Equations

f = v/lambda

1st resonance = lambda/4

2nd resonance = 3lambda/4

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the cylinders. One cylinder is 56.5 cm below the rim and the other is 17.5cm below the rim. The first cylinder is at the second resonance of 3lambda/4 and the second is lamda/4. Now i don't know what to do. Can someone guide me?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the resonances one at a time. For example, the first one, which is 56.5 cm below the rim, and is at 3λ/4. What is the relationship between those two distances?

What about the other resonance?

for the first one, 56.5cm = lambda/4

the other resonance, 17.5 = 3lambda/4

is that right?

mizzy said:
Note that there is an end correction , meaning that the effective length of the air column is longer than the observed length by a fixed constant amount.
I don't believe you've taken this piece of information into account.

oh right...

first resonance: 56.5 + D = lamda/4

second resonance: 17.5 + D = 3lamda/4

k. I solved these equations, but I get a negative wavelength and therefore a negative frequency.

How can that be?:confused:

How do you know which resonance corresponds to which distance?

i don't know. I'm just guessing the the first would be the second and the second distance is the first.

Guesses are wrong sometimes, y'know :wink:

k. let me think about this one. We are dealing with a tube that is open on one end and closed in the other. Equations i know to use for this situation: lambda = 4L , f = n(v/4L) when n= 1,3,5,etc.

In the question, the tube is slowly filled with water and the resonances are noted at the distances above..the first resonance happens at 56.5cm.

am i going in the right direction?

K. I tried drawing a picture so i can visualize this. The second resonance will happen at 56.5cm and the first resonance will happen at 17.5cm.

I got the answer.

1. What is a tuning fork?

A tuning fork is a small, two-pronged metal instrument that produces a specific musical pitch when struck against a hard surface. It is commonly used to tune musical instruments and as a reference for other pitch-perfect instruments.

2. How does a tuning fork work?

A tuning fork works by producing a specific frequency of sound when struck. The two prongs of the fork vibrate at a constant rate, creating a pure tone with a specific frequency. The frequency is determined by the length, thickness, and material of the prongs.

3. What is resonance?

Resonance is the phenomenon that occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. In the case of a tuning fork, when the fork is struck, it vibrates at its natural frequency, producing a clear and sustained tone. This is due to the transfer of energy between the two prongs of the fork.

4. How can a tuning fork be used to demonstrate resonance?

A tuning fork can be used to demonstrate resonance by holding it over the opening of a glass bottle or jar. When the fork is struck, the sound waves produced will cause the air inside the bottle to vibrate at the same frequency. This results in a louder and more sustained sound because of the resonance between the fork and the bottle.

5. Can tuning forks be used for more than just tuning instruments?

Yes, tuning forks have a variety of uses beyond tuning instruments. They are often used in medical settings to test hearing and in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of sound and resonance. They can also be used in sound healing therapies and to create music in unconventional ways.