Turbine Engine Questions: Squealer Tips & Classified Weights?

In summary, "Squealer Tips" and "Classified Weights" are terms used in the context of turbine blades, specifically in the Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbo-prop engine. A squealer tip is a term used in US, possibly leftover from steam turbine design, and can be researched on Google. On the other hand, a classified weight refers to the weight of confidential or secret information.
PA32
I recently saw the terms "Squealer Tips" and "Classified Weights" in a text about turbine blades in an article on the Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbo-prop engine. Can anyone explain what is meant by these two terms? What are they and what do they "do"?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would understand that to mean they got information from people with access to unpublished information, but without the authority or permission to release it.

Last edited:
Google will tell you what a squealer tip is. This must be a US term., I never heard of it on my side of the Atlantic. The idea seems to be a leftover from steam turbine design practice.

A classified weight is presumably the weight of something that is classified (i.e commercially confidential, or a military secret) information.

1. What are squealer tips in turbine engines?

Squealer tips are small metal extensions on the trailing edge of turbine blades. They are designed to reduce the noise produced by the engine by disrupting the airflow and reducing the intensity of the shock waves.

2. How do squealer tips affect the performance of a turbine engine?

Squealer tips can improve the aerodynamics of a turbine engine, resulting in increased efficiency and thrust. They can also reduce the stress on the blades, extending their lifespan.

3. What materials are used to make squealer tips?

Squealer tips are typically made from high-temperature nickel-based superalloys, such as Inconel, due to their ability to withstand the extreme conditions of a turbine engine.

4. What is the purpose of classifying turbine engine weights?

Classifying turbine engine weights is important for safety and performance reasons. It allows engineers to accurately determine the weight distribution of the engine, which can affect its balance, stability, and fuel consumption.

5. How are turbine engine weights classified?

Turbine engine weights are classified into three categories: dry weight, operating weight, and thrust weight. Dry weight refers to the weight of the engine without any fuel or oil, operating weight includes fuel and oil, and thrust weight is the maximum thrust the engine can produce.