Turbulence, Energy, and Flow Analysis

In summary: This is not related to the Reynolds number or drag, and is a part of your old physics project on Physics Forums.
ArielGenesis
I observed that turbulence have tendency to grow even after passing through the object. with that i make an analysis which accurracy i doubt and so I post it here for clarification. here is my analysis:

"When a flow was redirected there will be a force that push the object with the direction of the flow and according to Newton’s third law, the flow will be pushed with the same but opposite force thus creating a flow with high energy. A high energy flow will tend to release its energy and it is done by creating a very turbulent movement which create turbulence and the vigorousness of the turbulence will be related with the energy released. When the energy releases are low, only laminar flow pattern will be formed. However, the releases of the energy are not immediate. It increases with time and the discharge will keep increasing until there the energy is below the minimum energy when the turbulence will decay to release the rest of the energy."

ps:I am still with my old physics project in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=121164 and it is nothing about reynold number or drag anymore.

thanks in advance
Arian.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your analysis is correct. Turbulence tends to grow after passing through an object because the force of the redirected flow creates a high-energy flow which releases its energy by creating turbulent movements. These turbulent movements can increase in their vigor as the energy released increases over time, until the energy is low enough for the turbulence to decay and release the rest of its energy.

Thank you for sharing your analysis on turbulence, energy, and flow. It is an interesting observation that turbulence tends to grow even after passing through an object. Your explanation of the force pushing the object and the resulting high energy flow is accurate. It is also important to note that turbulence is a result of the interaction between the flow and the object, and can also be affected by factors such as surface roughness and flow velocity.

Your explanation of the relationship between energy release and the intensity of turbulence is also correct. As the energy is released, the turbulence becomes more vigorous and can lead to chaotic movements in the flow. This is why turbulence is often associated with unpredictability and instability in fluid dynamics.

In terms of your project, it is great that you are exploring the concept of turbulence and its effects on flow. While it may not directly involve the Reynolds number or drag, it is still an important aspect to consider in fluid dynamics. Keep up the good work and continue to explore different factors that can affect turbulence in flow.

Related to Turbulence, Energy, and Flow Analysis

1. What is turbulence and why is it important in fluid dynamics?

Turbulence is a chaotic and unpredictable motion of fluids, characterized by irregular changes in speed and direction. It is important in fluid dynamics because it affects the efficiency of fluid flow and can cause energy losses in systems such as pipes and engines.

2. How is energy related to turbulence in fluid dynamics?

Turbulence is a result of energy transfer between different scales of motion in a fluid. This energy transfer can occur through various mechanisms such as viscosity, pressure, and buoyancy forces. In order to understand and predict turbulent flow, it is necessary to consider the energy dynamics within the system.

3. What techniques are commonly used for turbulence analysis?

There are several techniques used for turbulence analysis, including direct numerical simulation, large eddy simulation, and Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes equations. These techniques involve solving complex equations to simulate and analyze turbulent flow in different scenarios.

4. How does turbulence affect the performance of aircraft and vehicles?

Turbulence can greatly affect the performance of aircraft and vehicles by creating unstable and unpredictable air or fluid flow around them. This can cause increased drag, reduced lift, and decreased fuel efficiency. Engineers must consider and design for turbulence effects in order to optimize the performance of these vehicles.

5. What are some real-world applications of flow analysis and turbulence modeling?

Flow analysis and turbulence modeling have many practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of aerodynamic structures, engines, and turbines. They are also used in weather forecasting, oceanography, and environmental studies to better understand natural fluid phenomena. Additionally, these techniques are essential in the development of new technologies such as wind turbines and aircraft design.