Turing machine - polynomial time expression

In summary: The key idea is that the running time of an algorithm is O(n^k) for some constant k, which means that the running time grows no faster than some polynomial function of the input size n.
xeon123
In the Turing Machine, the machine accepts a word if the computation terminates in the accepting state. The language accepted by the machine, L(M), has associated an alphabet Δ and is defined by

L(M) = {w [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex]}

This means that the machine understands the word w if w belongs to the language.
We denote by Tm(w) the number of steps in the computation of M on the input w. If the computation never halts, then Tm(w)=infinity.

Also, we denote the worst case run time of M as

Tm(n) = max{Tm(w)}

which means the biggest words in the dictionary (I suppose).

But, we say that M runs in polynomial time if there exists k such that for all n, T(n)[itex]\leq[/itex] n^k + k.

I don't understand what n^k+k means. Can anyone explain me the last expression?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
xeon123 said:
In the Turing Machine, the machine accepts a word if the computation terminates in the accepting state. The language accepted by the machine, L(M), has associated an alphabet Δ and is defined by

L(M) = {w [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex]}

This means that the machine understands the word w if w belongs to the language.
We denote by Tm(w) the number of steps in the computation of M on the input w. If the computation never halts, then Tm(w)=infinity.

Also, we denote the worst case run time of M as

Tm(n) = max{Tm(w)}

which means the biggest words in the dictionary (I suppose).

But, we say that M runs in polynomial time if there exists k such that for all n, T(n)[itex]\leq[/itex] n^k + k.

I don't understand what n^k+k means. Can anyone explain me the last expression?

Thanks,

Your definition for polynomial time seems to be a little off. It's usually defined as T(n) ≤ nk, without the additional k term that you showed.

If you do a search for "polynomial time" this is one of the links that you'll see: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Polynomial_time.

1. What is a Turing machine?

A Turing machine is a theoretical model of a computer that can simulate any algorithm or computation. It consists of a tape, a head that can read and write symbols on the tape, and a set of rules that determine the machine's behavior.

2. What is the significance of polynomial time expression in a Turing machine?

A polynomial time expression in a Turing machine refers to the amount of time it takes for the machine to solve a problem. A polynomial time expression means that the problem can be solved in a reasonable amount of time, making it an efficient algorithm.

3. How does a Turing machine calculate polynomial time expressions?

A Turing machine calculates polynomial time expressions by using a specific set of rules and symbols to manipulate the tape. These rules are designed to solve a specific problem in a finite number of steps, making the calculation efficient.

4. Can a Turing machine solve any problem in polynomial time?

No, a Turing machine is not capable of solving every problem in polynomial time. There are some problems, such as the traveling salesman problem, that are considered NP-hard and require exponential time to solve.

5. How does the concept of polynomial time relate to the complexity of a problem?

A polynomial time expression in a Turing machine indicates that the problem can be solved efficiently and has a lower complexity. A problem with a higher complexity, such as exponential time, would require much more time and resources to solve.