Turning MPG into % efficiency?

In summary, this person is trying to figure out how efficient a vehicle is based on fuel used and MPG. They know about weights of the vehicles, everything. They want to factor in as much as possible so they can get the closest possible percent. They ask for help and the person provides a summary of the content.
ISX
This seems pretty hard to do but is there a way to figure out how efficient a vehicle is based on fuel used and MPG? I know there's about 1/3 gone to exhaust 1/3 through radiator and 1/3 is work but I want to get an exact percentage on the work part. So it would be 33% if it was like what I just stated. I know weights of the vehicles, everything. I want to factor in as much as possible so I can get the closest possible percent. Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well you need to decide what you want to accomplish by this. The answer varies hugely depending on what the vehicle is doing at the time you choose to take your measurements.

When the vehicle isn't moving, your MPG is obviously zero, and your efficiency (in terms of moving the vehicle) will be zero, but some work is still being done for anciliaries which you may or may not choose to account for.

When the vehicle is moving at full pelt, the equation is pretty easy; just look at the power needed to maintain terminal velocity, the energy going in as fuel, and; well there's your answer.

At part load or part throttle you can do the same consideration under steady state, constant conditions. For transients you're pretty buggered.

What are you trying to do?

Yeah that will be good enough. Like at 70mph I get 20mpg so I could base it all off that, just don't know how to do it..

Ok.

To work out the power required to propel the car at 70mph you need to calculate the power required to overcome rolling resistance and air resistance. Add a bit for drivetrain efficiencies if you want to take care of those, and ancilliaries. Do all this on a power (ie. watts per second) basis.

To work out the energy going in as fuel, first calculate the fuel flow rate (i.e. what's 20mpg in terms of litres per minute of fuel at 70mph). Then multiply this by the calorific value of the fuel.

Your efficiency is the ratio of the two.

also aero drag is major player in MPG..

To me this seems like a useless pursuit: any answer you get would only be a single data point, applying only to a specific set of conditions. The thermo eff of a car engine is nearly constant while the mpg varies wildly.

1. How do I convert MPG into % efficiency?

To convert MPG (miles per gallon) into % efficiency, you can use the following formula: efficiency = (MPG/gasoline energy content) * 100. The gasoline energy content can be found on the label of your fuel. For example, if your car gets 30 MPG and the gasoline energy content is 120,000 BTU/gal, the efficiency would be (30/120,000) * 100 = 0.025 * 100 = 2.5%.

2. Is there a specific unit for % efficiency?

Yes, % efficiency is typically measured in a unit called "thermal efficiency" or "fuel efficiency". It represents the percentage of energy from the fuel that is actually used to power the vehicle.

3. How does MPG relate to % efficiency?

MPG and % efficiency are inversely related. This means that as MPG increases, % efficiency decreases and vice versa. This is because a higher MPG indicates that the vehicle is using less fuel to travel the same distance, resulting in a higher % efficiency.

4. Can % efficiency be improved?

Yes, % efficiency can be improved by implementing technologies such as hybrid engines, which use a combination of gasoline and electricity to power the vehicle. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper driving habits, such as avoiding excessive idling and maintaining proper tire pressure, can also improve % efficiency.

5. How accurate is the conversion from MPG to % efficiency?

The conversion from MPG to % efficiency is fairly accurate, but there are some factors that can affect the accuracy, such as variations in gasoline energy content and driving conditions. It is important to note that % efficiency is just one measure of a vehicle's performance and should not be the sole factor in determining its overall efficiency.