Finding a Point of Equality in a Twice Differentiable Function on [0,1]

In summary, if a function g:[0,1]-->R is twice differentiable with g''(x)>0 for all x in [0,1], g(0)>0 and g(1)=1, then g(d)=d for some point d in (0,1) if and only if g'(1)>1. This can be shown using the Mean Value Theorem and by also considering the graph of the function, which should be concave up and intersect the line y=x at some point. Additionally, if g(d) = d for some d in (0,1), then g'(1) = 1.
kathrynag
Let g:[0,1]-->R be twice differentiable(both g and g' are differentiable functions) with g''(x)>0 for all x in [0,1]. If g(0)>0 and g(1)=1, show that g(d)=d for some point d in (0,1) iff g'(1)>1.

I thought I might use the MVT.
g'(c)=g(1)-g(0)/1=1-g(0)
g'(c)<0 then

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be helpful to sketch a graph of a function that meets these criteria. The graph should be concave up, have a y intercept that is positive, and g(1) = 1.
You have to show that the graph of g crosses the line y = x iff g'(1) > 1.

Ok so I assume g'(1)>1
Then g'(1)=lim[(g(x)-g(1)/(1-x)}=lim[(g(x)-1)/(1-x)]>1

Assume g'(1) > 1, then show that for some d in (0, 1), g(d) = d.

Then go the other way - g(d) = d ==> g'(1) = 1.

My suggestion of graphing was to help you get a geometric feel for this problem.

I guess I get stuck just assuming g'(1)>1

Then g'(1)=lim[(g(x)-g(1)/(1-x)}=lim[(g(x)-1)/(1-x)]>1

Let f(x) = g(x) - x. Can you do something with that?

Related to Finding a Point of Equality in a Twice Differentiable Function on [0,1]

What does it mean for a function to be twice differentiable?

A function that is twice differentiable means that it has two continuous derivatives. This means that the function has a first derivative and a second derivative, and both are continuous at all points in the function's domain.

How do you determine if a function is twice differentiable?

To determine if a function is twice differentiable, you must first find its first derivative and its second derivative. Then, you must check that both derivatives are continuous at all points in the function's domain. If both derivatives are continuous, then the function is twice differentiable.

What is the difference between a twice differentiable function and a once differentiable function?

The main difference is that a twice differentiable function has two continuous derivatives, while a once differentiable function only has one continuous derivative. This means that a twice differentiable function has a more complex and smooth curve compared to a once differentiable function.

Can a function be twice differentiable at some points but not at others?

Yes, a function can be twice differentiable at some points but not at others. This is because the function may have a discontinuity or sharp point at certain points, which would make it not twice differentiable at those points. However, it can still be twice differentiable at other points where there are no discontinuities.

Why is it important for a function to be twice differentiable?

Having a function that is twice differentiable is important because it means that the function is very smooth and well-behaved. This makes it easier to work with and analyze, as well as making it a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena. Additionally, many mathematical and scientific models rely on functions that are twice differentiable to accurately describe and predict behavior.