Do Photons Attract Each Other?

• I
  • Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beams Light
In summary: So, if you want a general solution you need to solve the geodesic equation and see if it can be solved analytically.In summary, the equation of motion for a photon in a parallel light beam can be simplified to show that there is no attractive gravitational force between two thin parallel beams of light in linearized theory. This result has been proven in various literature and holds true to higher orders. However, for beams with opposite momentum, there is attraction. The question of whether this result holds for perpendicular beams remains to be studied further.
ergospherical
Then the equation of motion for a photon in the beam (moving parallel to the ##x## axis) is\begin{align*}
\ddot{y} = - \Gamma^y_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu} = -[\Gamma^y_{00} + \Gamma^y_{xx} + 2\Gamma^y_{0x}](\dot{x}^0)^2
\end{align*}and similar for ##z##. In the linearised theory (##h_{\mu \nu} \equiv g_{\mu \nu} - \eta_{\mu \nu}##) we have ##h_{00} = h_{xx} = - h_{0x}## which after some algebra implies that the right hand side vanishes. This result should still hold in the non-linearised theory, but how can one prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
This result should still hold in the non-linearised theory, but how can one prove this?
I do not think it hold in non linear orders because photons have energy momentum thus curve space time geometry.

Likes Pyter
Actually, I just realized I misunderstood something about the OP. The paper I referenced, and the result that is relatively well known, is that parallel light beams whose momentum is in the same direction do not attract each other. It is also known that for for beams with opposite momentum (anti parallel beams), there is attraction. The OP seems to be asking about perpendicular beams. I never thought about this case before, and I don’t know the answer beyond the linearized argument presented in the OP.

Here is a reference covering the antiparallel case:

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9811052

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical
ergospherical said:
the equation of motion for a photon in the beam (moving parallel to the ##x## axis) is
It seems like there is some missing context here. What assumption is being made about the metric?

Likes ergospherical
PAllen said:
It is also known that for for beams with opposite momentum (anti parallel beams), there is attraction.
For two light beams except parallel case we have COM system where two beams has opposite momentum. Then according to the above two light beams attract.

PeterDonis said:
It seems like there is some missing context here.
This is another problem from Lightman’s book, the full statement is:
Show that in linearised theory there is no attractive gravitational force between two thin parallel beams of light.
which is fairly straightforward to answer once you figure out what the components of the SET are (because ##\square \bar{h}_{ab} = -16\pi T_{ab}## in linearised theory). The geometry I have in mind is nothing but two beams parallel to the ##x## axis but with different (fixed) ##y## and ##z## coordinates.

There’s an additional remark at the end saying that the result in fact also holds to higher orders - the quite surprisingly simple justification is in the first paper @PAllen linked to.

The question about the anti-parallel and perpendicular cases is interesting. I think I will come back to them on the weekend because I have too many other assignments to complete at the present!

Last edited:
Oh, so you were interested in the parallel case. Your comment in OP about z direction confused me. Anyway, the analysis in the second paper I referenced establishes that any beam orientation except parallel will have net interaction between the beams. However, it only gives an actual solution for anti parallel and parallel cases.

1. Do photons have mass?

No, photons do not have mass. They are considered to be massless particles.

2. How do photons interact with each other?

Photons interact with each other through electromagnetic forces. They can either attract or repel each other depending on their charges.

3. Do photons attract each other?

Yes, photons can attract each other through electromagnetic forces. This attraction is known as the Van der Waals force.

4. What is the significance of photons attracting each other?

The attraction between photons plays a crucial role in the formation of many structures in the universe, such as molecules and even galaxies. Without this attraction, these structures would not be able to form.

5. Can photons attract other particles besides themselves?

Yes, photons can attract other charged particles, such as electrons and protons, through electromagnetic forces. This is how light interacts with matter and causes chemical reactions and other physical phenomena.