Two black holes moving in a circular orbit around a point

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem involving two black holes with speed v. The person was able to solve parts a) and b), but their solution for part c) was not correct according to the solution. The issue was that the person's kinetic energy term was that of a single black hole, instead of two. They asked if they should multiply it by 2, and the other person asked if they were asking or telling. The person clarified that they were asking, as their answer was still incorrect. The other person suggested checking the potential energy and simplifying the expression before inputting numbers.
slogals
Homework Statement
Two black holes move in a circular orbit around a point, O. The two black holes have the same mass, equal to 10 solar masses = 1.99⋅10^31 kg. The radius of the circular path is 1.00⋅10^6 m.

a)Find the gravitational force that acts on one black hole from the other.

Point P is 3.00⋅10^6 m from O. At some point the two black holes are positioned so that we can draw a straight line through the black holes, point O and point P.

b)Find the gravitational field strength at point P.

At one point in time, the orbital speed of each of the black holes is 1.82⋅10^7 m/s.
c) Calculate the mechanical energy of the black holes at this time.

One second later, the distance between the black holes has decreased by 0.05⋅10^6 m. At the same time, the orbital speed has increased from 1.82⋅10^7 m/s to 1.88⋅10^7 m/s for both. When the two black holes rotate around each other, they create gravitational waves. This results in the system losing mechanical energy.

d) How much energy has been converted into gravitational waves during this second?
Relevant Equations
F = Gm1m2/r
K = ½m2v2
U=- GMm / r
E = K + U
I tried solving it and i was able to do a) and b)

here is what i did on c), but its not correct according to the solution

1669660299003.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not correct because there are two black holes with speed v. Your kinetic energy term 0.5*m*v^2 is that of a single black hole.

kuruman said:
It's not correct because there are two black holes with speed v. Your kinetic energy term 0.5*m*v^2 is that of a single black hole.
Hmm, but what is the radius then?

kuruman said:
So i should just muliply it by 2?

slogals said:
So i should just muliply it by 2?
Are you asking me or are you telling me? What do you think?

kuruman said:
Are you asking me or are you telling me? What do you think?
Im asking you, cus the anwser is still wrong

If you add two quantities that are equal, you should get twice the amount of one. The problem is not with the kinetic energy. Check your potential energy. How did you get U = -(G(v^2*r)/G*m)/(r)? I would recommend simplifying the expression before putting in the numbers.

1. What causes two black holes to move in a circular orbit around a point?

The two black holes are moving in a circular orbit due to their strong gravitational pull on each other. This is similar to how the Earth and Moon orbit around each other.

2. How do scientists detect the presence of two black holes in orbit?

Scientists can detect the presence of two black holes in orbit through gravitational wave detectors, which measure the tiny ripples in space-time caused by the movement of massive objects like black holes.

3. Can two black holes merge while in orbit around each other?

Yes, two black holes can merge while in orbit around each other. As they orbit closer and closer, they emit gravitational waves that carry away energy and cause them to merge into a single, larger black hole.

4. What happens to the space-time fabric around two black holes in orbit?

The space-time fabric around two black holes in orbit is distorted due to their immense gravitational pull. This creates a phenomenon known as a "gravitational lens," where light from objects behind the black holes is bent and distorted as it passes through this warped space-time.

5. Can two black holes in orbit around each other eventually merge into a single black hole?

Yes, two black holes in orbit around each other can eventually merge into a single black hole. This process can take millions or even billions of years, depending on the mass and distance of the black holes.