Two blocks/friction question

• Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date
In summary, the bottom block would have an acceleration of 6m/s^2 because it would be (200N-80N)/20kg.
lax1113

Homework Statement

A block of mass 20kg sits on top of a block mass 50kg. The coeficent of static friction between the top block and the bottom block is .6, while the kinetic is .4. The bottom block is on a frictionless surface. The top block is pulled with a force of 200N. What is the acceleration of the bottom and top block?

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out making it as a system, so that the system has a mass of 70kg and only 20kg accounts for the friction. So the friction would be 120N while not moving, and 80N after it has began to move. So with that being said, it appears that the top block would have a friction of 6m/s^2 because it would be (200N-80N)/20kg (i am using 10 for g at the moment). But what is the prupose of the static friction? Does the bottom block get pulled by the top block at the rate of static friction? I am not sure why static is in this problem, but my only guess would be for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
lax1113 said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass 20kg sits on top of a block mass 50kg. The coeficent of static friction between the top block and the bottom block is .6, while the kinetic is .4. The bottom block is on a frictionless surface. The top block is pulled with a force of 200N. What is the acceleration of the bottom and top block?

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out making it as a system, so that the system has a mass of 70kg and only 20kg accounts for the friction. So the friction would be 120N while not moving, and 80N after it has began to move. So with that being said, it appears that the top block would have a frictionyou meant acceleration of 6m/s^2 because it would be (200N-80N)/20kg (i am using 10 for g at the moment). But what is the prupose of the static friction?
if the top block didn't move with respect to the bottom block, then you would have had to use a friction force less than or equal to the max available static friction force. Since you have shown it does move, forget about it.
Does the bottom block get pulled by the top block at the rate of static friction? I am not sure why static is in this problem, but my only guess would be for that.
The top block does get pulled by the friction between the 2 blocks...is it static or kinetic?

Hey,
I am sorry i meant acceleration, just wasn't thinking i suppose. It seems to me that the bottom block would still get pulled by kinetic friciton because they are both moving, so the top block is moving away from the bottom block, but then why in the world would there be a static friction in the question?

i have a problem like this with an object on top of another...I am trying to go about how to figure out the maximum static friction on the top object before it begins to slide i believe.

The whizz,
I am not sure i understand why you are trying to figure this out. I don't know why it would be in the question if it was not intended to be used, but the answer in the back of the book matches the (Fnormal*kinetic mu)/mass. This makes sense to me, but just what doesn't make sense is why information would be supplied in the question that had no relevance.

well its a bit different of a question but very similar. I am trying to find the maximum force that can be exerted on the sled before the penguin begins to slide.

And i believe that this is when the static friction is at its max on the top object before becoming kinetic friction.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=269445

lax1113 said:
The whizz,
I am not sure i understand why you are trying to figure this out. I don't know why it would be in the question if it was not intended to be used, but the answer in the back of the book matches the (Fnormal*kinetic mu)/mass. This makes sense to me, but just what doesn't make sense is why information would be supplied in the question that had no relevance.
It is relevant because the question wants you to understand when to use kinetic friction and when to use static friction. What if the pulling force was 80N instead of 200N. Or what if the pulling force was only 60N? What would be the accelerations of each block under these scenarios?

What is a "Two blocks/friction question"?

A "Two blocks/friction question" is a physics problem that involves two blocks of different masses and a surface with friction. The goal of the problem is usually to calculate the acceleration or forces acting on the blocks.

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the movement of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and can be affected by factors such as the type of material and the force pressing the surfaces together.

How do you calculate the frictional force?

The frictional force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction is a value that depends on the materials in contact and can be found in tables or calculated using other formulas.

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is resting on it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and its magnitude is equal to the weight of the object.

How does the mass of the blocks affect the problem?

The mass of the blocks affects the problem because it determines the normal force and therefore the frictional force. The heavier the blocks, the greater the normal force and the larger the frictional force. This can affect the acceleration and forces acting on the blocks.