Two circles intersecting, a lot of lines.

In summary: I have not made any progress with this problem, but I suspect that the result is still true when B is not between A and D, provided that you interpret it correctly. In that case, you should take the angle $x$ to be $\angle CDA$, which will be obtuse. Then $2x$ will be greater than $180^\circ$ and you need to take the reflex angle $\angle DEF$.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let two circles $T_1$ and $T_2$, ($T_1$ is smaller than $T_2$), intersect at points $C$ and $E$. Let the tangent to $T_1$ at $C$ meet $T_2$ at $A$. From $A$ another tangent to $T_1$ is drawn which touches $T_1$ at $B$ and meets $T_2$ again at $D$. Let $F$ be the foot of perpendicular from $B$ to $CD$. $\angle CDB=x$. Show that $\angle DEF=2x$.

Drawing some figures to scale, I found that if $CD$ meets $T_1$ at $G$, then $\angle FEG=\angle GED$ although I am not able to prove this or solve the main question above.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Let two circles $T_1$ and $T_2$, ($T_1$ is smaller than $T_2$), intersect at points $C$ and $E$. Let the tangent to $T_1$ at $C$ meet $T_2$ at $A$.

With you so far.

From $A$ another tangent to $T_1$

Did you mean a tangent to $T_{2}$? Or is $A=C$?

is drawn which touches $T_1$ at $B$

The tangent to $T_{2}$ at $A$ is by no means guaranteed to intersect $T_{1}$. Or is it postulated that it must?

and meets $T_2$ again at $D$. Let $F$ be the foot of perpendicular from $B$ to $CD$. $\angle CDB=x$. Show that $\angle DEF=2x$.

Drawing some figures to scale, I found that if $CD$ meets $T_1$ at $G$, then $\angle FEG=\angle GED$ although I am not able to prove this or solve the main question above.

I am confused, I'm afraid. Could you please help me out here?

Ackbach said:
With you so far.
Did you mean a tangent to $T_{2}$? Or is $A=C$?
The tangent to $T_{2}$ at $A$ is by no means guaranteed to intersect $T_{1}$. Or is it postulated that it must?
I am confused, I'm afraid. Could you please help me out here?
Okay let me upload a figure here.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.PNG
    IMG_0170.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 38
The picture does indeed help. However, I'm not sure I buy the result. Try drawing the figure again with hardly any overlap of the two circles. I end up with, for example, the points $ADB$ showing up in that order, not in the order of $ABD$. And the angle $\angle DEF$ sure looks a lot smaller than $\angle CDB$.

Ackbach said:
The picture does indeed help. However, I'm not sure I buy the result. Try drawing the figure again with hardly any overlap of the two circles. I end up with, for example, the points $ADB$ showing up in that order, not in the order of $ABD$. And the angle $\angle DEF$ sure looks a lot smaller than $\angle CDB$.
I guess you are right. I don't know what's going on here. Perhaps an additional constraint should be imposed... that ABD occur in this order only.

Try constructing the drawing in something like Geometer's Sketchpad, and see if you can find anything out. GSP allows lots of experimentation by dragging things around and generally having fun.

Ackbach said:
Try constructing the drawing in something like Geometer's Sketchpad, and see if you can find anything out. GSP allows lots of experimentation by dragging things around and generally having fun.
Thank you for telling me about this software. I will download its trial version as soon as I can. Meanwhile I checked(using ruler and compass :() that if B is between A and D then the problem makes sense.

caffeinemachine said:
Thank you for telling me about this software. I will download its trial version as soon as I can. Meanwhile I checked(using ruler and compass :() that if B is between A and D then the problem makes sense.
I have not made any progress with this problem, but I suspect that the result is still true when B is not between A and D, provided that you interpret it correctly. In that case, you should take the angle $x$ to be $\angle CDA$, which will be obtuse. Then $2x$ will be greater than $180^\circ$ and you need to take the reflex angle $\angle DEF$.

Related to Two circles intersecting, a lot of lines.

1. What is the definition of "intersecting circles"?

Intersecting circles refer to two or more circles that share at least one common point. This common point is known as the intersection point.

2. How do you determine if two circles intersect?

To determine if two circles intersect, you can use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the centers of the circles. If the distance is less than the sum of the radii of the circles, then they intersect. If the distance is equal to the sum of the radii, then they are tangent to each other. If the distance is greater than the sum of the radii, then they do not intersect.

3. Can two circles intersect at more than one point?

Yes, two circles can intersect at more than one point. This occurs when the circles overlap or when one circle is completely contained within the other.

4. What is the equation for determining the intersection points of two circles?

The equation for determining the intersection points of two circles is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, where (a,b) are the coordinates of the center of one circle and r is the radius of that circle. By substituting the coordinates and radius of the second circle into this equation, you can solve for the values of x and y at the intersection points.

5. How does the number of lines affect the intersection points of two circles?

The number of lines does not directly affect the intersection points of two circles. However, the more lines you add, the more intersection points you can create between the circles. Each line will intersect the circles at two points, so the number of intersection points will be doubled for every line added.