1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two dimensional kinematics

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a flying saucer manueverign with a constant acceleration is observed with the positions and velocities shown below. what is the saucer's acceleration?

2. Relevant equations
    a = [tex]\Delta[/tex]v / t

3. The attempt at a solution
    so a time is not given.. is there another way to find acceleration?
    ** actually if someone knows a site that gives a clear and concise tutorial on two-dimensional kinematics that would be great :). I know there is one attached to this site.. but i do better with actual examples and more visual.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi indietro! :smile:

(I can't see the picture yet, but …)

The standard trick for finding dv/dt from v and s without involving t is to use the chain rule …

dv/dt = dv/dx dx/dt = v dv/dx :wink:

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    oo ok for the picture it is a x-y graph that shows a point at (0.0) with a vertical vector (200[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] m/s) and a second point at (2000, 1000) with a south-east vector (200[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] - 100[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] m/s)

for the chain rule: is the v the final velocity?

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v = dx/dt

6. Oct 9, 2009 #5
    so i have a question: for an x-y graph showing the trajectory, what does [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] (starts at origin and goes to a point on the trajectory) tell me? the velocity at that point? or does it only tell me the direction of velocity at that point?

7. Oct 9, 2009 #6
    sorry but im really confused as how to relate an xy-graph, a vx graph, a vy graph and acceleration. Like what does each tell me, how can i find position after a certain time, how can i find acceleration?

8. Oct 10, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi indietro! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
    r only tells you the position, and the direction of the tangent of the trajectory tells you the direction of the velocity.
    Why are you using a graph? Does the question tell you to?

If it doesn't, then forget graphs, and just use equations. :smile:

9. Oct 10, 2009 #8
    yes the question gives me all the information in the form of an vx graph and vy graph ...:(

10. Oct 10, 2009 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … I still can't see your picture.

I'll have to wait until I can see it.

(I've reported it, so hopefully it'll come up soon :redface:)

11. Oct 10, 2009 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oooh, I see it now! :tongue2:​

ok, that isn't a graph (a graph would be a continuous curve) …

it's just a diagram, defining the two velocities in a picture instead of in words.

So you don't have to use a "graph method" …

just write the velocities as 200j and 200i - 100j, and carry on from there. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook