1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two events in spacetime

Tags:
  1. May 12, 2013 #1
    The question...

Two events are observed in a frame of reference S to occur at the same space point, with the second event occurring after a time of 1.70s. In a second frame S' moving relative to S, the second event is observed to occur after a time of 2.25 s.
    What is the difference Δx between the positions of the two events as measured in S'?

I know that you guys like people to post their attempt at a solution, but I am legitimately lost and don't even know where to start :(
    All I've managed to work out is that for S', event 2 occured [tex]6.75*10^8[/tex]m away.

Help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    You could start by writing down the relevant equations.

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    That's the problem, I don't know which equations I need. Do I need time dilation? Do I need to consider length contraction? Do I need to use a Lorentz transformation on the coordinates of something? Do I need to get a Lorentz transformation of a velocity?

I am completely lost with this question in every sense of the word.

5. May 12, 2013 #4
    The problem is obviously talking about time between two events in one frame and in another frame. What equation is relevant there? What can you determine from it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted