1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Functions intersect and have equal derivatives at x=a and x=b

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    Sorry, wasn't sure how to describe the problem in the title.

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, this problem has really been bugging me for a while. It's a question that I thought of when I was daydreaming in class, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I've been going crazy for days Here is the problem:

-

Consider the following information to determine the answer to the question afterward.

• f (0) and g (0) = 0
    • f '(0) and g '(0) = 1
    • f (h) and g (h) = 1
    • f '(h) and g '(h) = 0
    • h is positive constant greater than 1
    • f (x) and g (x) are always concave down on the interval (0, h)
    • f (x) and g (x) are both continuous on the interval (0, h)
    • f (x) and g (x) are both always differentiable on the interval (0, h)

On the interval (0,h), do the graphs of f (x) and g (x) have to be identical?

If not, give the algebraic expression of two functions that satisfy the above conditions and also have nonidentical graphs on the interval (0,h).

The attempt at a solution

I don't believe two functions necessarily have to be identical on the interval with those conditions. However, I can't find two functions to give an example

My first attempt was to use f(x) = sinx as one of the functions, since it satisfies these conditions when h=pi/4.

when f(x) = sinx, and h=pi/4
    • f (0) = 0
    • f '(0) = 1
    • f (pi/4) = 1
    • f '(pi/4) = 0

Now I just needed to find a function g(x) with the same conditions, but has a curve nonidentical to sinx on the interval (0, pi/4). I figured if I manipulate the semi-circle equation, I can obtain a graph with the above characteristics. So I set g(x) = a√(b-cx^2) + d, which is a transformation of the semi-circle equation.

However, after hours upon hours of attempts, I cannot find the values of a, b, c & d to satisfy all three conditions! For example, I can easily get g(0) = 0, g'(0) = 1, and g (pi/4) = 1, but then g '(pi/4) would equal something other than 0. What is happening?

I also tried other functions like the cubic function, function raised to the 1/3 power, etc. but nothing works. There's always one condition unfulfilled.

-

Am I wrong in my thinking that two functions with the given conditions are not necessarily identical? I asked my GSI and he gave me some philosophical nonsense and told me I can figure it out on my own (he's obviously wrong).

PS: Could you explain it in a way that a first-semester Calculus student can understand?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Consider a sin curve vs a square wave with the same periodicity at specific points the value and slope might agree but the functions are clearly different.

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Suppose there exists a function [itex]F: [0,h] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], which satisfies the following conditions:
    • [itex]F[/itex] is continuous on [itex][0,h][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
    • [itex]F[/itex] is concave down on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
    • [itex]F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0[/itex].
    • There exists [itex]x \in (0,h)[/itex] such that [itex]F(x) \neq 0[/itex].

Now suppose [itex]f : [0,h] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] satisfies the following:
    • [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex], [itex]f'(0) = 1[/itex], [itex]f(h) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f'(h) = 0[/itex].
    • [itex]f[/itex] is concave down on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
    • [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on [itex][0,h][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](0,h)[/itex].

Then [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g = f + F \neq f[/itex] will satisfy the conditions you have imposed.

All you need do is find such an [itex]F[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. Nov 12, 2013 #4
    Yeah, that's why I don't think f(x) and g(x) have to be equal. But I can't think of any counterexamples to the proposed question. Can you?

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5
    hmm, I'm a first-semester Calculus student. I assumed the question could be answered using some relatively basic calculus. I've never seen some of the symbols you just used.

I doubt understand your third bullet where you put "F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0." How did you figure that out? Also, for the fourth bullet, I have no idea what that "E" looking character is.

Sorry for the hassle, but could you explain it in a way that a first-semester Calculus student can understand? I may be a few courses away from understanding your response completely.

7. Nov 12, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Jay520 re your OP: It's easy to draw a few such curves:

curves.jpg

8. Nov 12, 2013 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

I want to show that if f and g satisfy the given conditions, then they need not be equal. Thus I want to write [itex]F = g - f[/itex], and show that [itex]F[/itex] doesn't have to be zero everywhere.

Since [itex]f(0) = g(0)[/itex], [itex]f'(0) = g'(0)[/itex], [itex]f(h) = g(h)[/itex] and [itex]f'(h) = g'(h)[/itex] I therefore have [itex]F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0[/itex].

"[itex]a \in A[/itex]" means "[itex]a[/itex] is a member of the set [itex]A[/itex]".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted