Inverse Trig Graphs: Domain and Range

In summary, the conversation is about graphing two functions involving inverse trigonometric functions, specifically y=sin(arcsin(x)) and y=arcsin(sin(x)). The conversation includes discussions about the domain and range of these functions, as well as confusion about how to graph composite functions. Some helpful tips and clarifications are provided to help the individual understand and graph these functions correctly.
Jet1045
Hey everyone. Sorry to post another topic, but i thought this would be easy to find on google, to help me with , but i can't find it.

All I am really lookin for is someone to let me know if my answers are right, and if not, then how i can fix them :)

Anyways, i was asked to graph y=sin(arsinc)
So i graphed the line y=x with the doman as -1 to 1 and the range as -pi/2 to pi/2

Then i neded to graph y=arsin(sinx)
So i graphed the line y=x with the domain as -pi/2 to pi/2 and the range as -1 to 1

This is just wat i came up with based on my profs notes, but I am not sure if they are right, and are just kinda guesses i came up with on what he wrote. I just tried a few things and thought this made sense. haha

if someone could let me know if this is right, i'd greatly appreciate it !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might need to switch them. I know that sin(f(x)) doesn't have a range from -pi/2 to pi/2 no matter WHAT f(x) is. But I think your domain and range in 1 is correct for 2, and your domain and range in 2 is correct for 1.

Hang on, you have to graph:[tex]y=\sin ( \text{sinc}^{-1}x ) \qquad : \qquad \text{sinc}(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{x}[/tex]... have I got that right?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=282941
It is not clear what your strategy entails besides plotting the line y=x.

restricting your domain etc, wouldn't you want to plot y=sinc(x) then reflect it in y=x to get the inverse function - then take the sine of that? You are doing this numerically I hope?

Simon Bridge said:
Hang on, you have to graph:[tex]y=\sin ( \text{sinc}^{-1}x ) \qquad : \qquad \text{sinc}(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{x}
... have I got that right?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=282941
It is not clear what your strategy entails besides plotting the line y=x.

restricting your domain as you did, wouldn't you want to plot y=sinc(x) then reflect it in y=x to get the inverse function - then take the sine of that? You are doing this numerically I hope?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant arsinx, or arcsin(x). But I'm not entirely certain myself.

oh holy eff, i clearly can't spell. sorry about that!
yeah i was asked to graph

sin(arcsinx)
and
arcsin(sinx)

I just have no ideas what to label the x and y-axis for each with :(

Jet1045 said:
Hey everyone. Sorry to post another topic, but i thought this would be easy to find on google, to help me with , but i can't find it.

All I'm really lookin for is someone to let me know if my answers are right, and if not, then how i can fix them :)

Anyways, i was asked to graph y=sin(arsinc)
So i graphed the line y=x with the domain as -1 to 1 and the range as -pi/2 to pi/2

Then i neded to graph y=arsin(sinx)
So i graphed the line y=x with the domain as -pi/2 to pi/2 and the range as -1 to 1

This is just what i came up with based on my profs notes, but I am not sure if they are right, and are just kinda guesses i came up with on what he wrote. I just tried a few things and thought this made sense. haha

if someone could let me know if this is right, I'd greatly appreciate it !
I think you have a typo in your first function.

Should it be y = sin(arcsin(x)) ?

The domain & range you give for this are actually only for the arcsine function, although this is also the correct domain for this composite function. As for the range: What is the result of putting all possible values from -π/2 to π/2 into the sine function?

As for the second function, arcsin(sin(x)) :
What is the domain of sin(x) ?

Are any of the values from the range of sin(x) which are not in the domain of arcsin(x)?​

Answering those questions should get you started.

Oh gotcha... that's easier.

SammyS said:
I think you have a typo in your first function.

Should it be y = sin(arcsin(x)) ?

The domain & range you give for this are actually only for the arcsine function, although this is also the correct domain for this composite function. As for the range: What is the result of putting all possible values from -π/2 to π/2 into the sine function?

As for the second function, arcsin(sin(x)) :
What is the domain of sin(x) ?

Are any of the values from the range of sin(x) which are not in the domain of arcsin(x)?​

Answering those questions should get you started.

Thanks Sammy! So for the first function y=sin(arcsin(x)) by putting any value from -pi/2 to pi/2 into sinx, you get values from -1 to 1. So does this mean that the range of this function is also -1 to 1, just like the domain?

For the second one I am a little omfused. So the domain of sinx when you restrict it so that you can graph just arcsinx, is from -pi/2 to pi/2 correct?
And for your second tip, you mean the range of sin being -1 to 1, are any of those values not in the domain of arcsin? So if the domain of just arcsin is -1 to 1, then wouldn't all of those values be in it??

AGGHHH i hattteee trig... hahah and I've never understood how to work with graphs of composite functions :/

Last edited:
Jet1045 said:
Thanks Sammy! So for the first function y=sin(arcsin(x)) by putting any value from -pi/2 to pi/2 into sinx, you get values from -1 to 1. So does this mean that the range of this function is also -1 to 1, just like the domain?

For the second one I am a little omfused. So the domain of sinx when you restrict it so that you can graph just arcsinx, is from -pi/2 to pi/2 correct?
And for your second tip, you mean the range of sin being -1 to 1, are any of those values not in the domain of arcsin? So if the domain of just arcsin is -1 to 1, then wouldn't all of those values be in it??

AGGHHH i hattteee trig... hahah and I've never understood how to work with graphs of composite functions :/
But even if you don't restrict the domain of sin(x), (and in this case there is no reason to restrict it) the range of sin(x) is [-1, 1].

Think about x going from -π/2 to π/2. Then sin(x) goes from -1 to 1. So arcsin(sin(x)) goes from -π/2 to π/2. Correct?

Now the strange part begins...

Let x go from π/2 to 3π/2. What does sin(x) do? It goes from 1 to -1. But, all that the arcsin function "knows" is that it's being fed values from 1 to -1. It doesn't know where these values came from to start with ... So arcsin(sin(x)) goes from  ?  to  ?  .

SammyS said:
But even if you don't restrict the domain of sin(x), (and in this case there is no reason to restrict it) the range of sin(x) is [-1, 1].

Think about x going from -π/2 to π/2. Then sin(x) goes from -1 to 1. So arcsin(sin(x)) goes from -π/2 to π/2. Correct?

Now the strange part begins...

Let x go from π/2 to 3π/2. What does sin(x) do? It goes from 1 to -1. But, all that the arcsin function "knows" is that it's being fed values from 1 to -1. It doesn't know where these values came from to start with ... So arcsin(sin(x)) goes from  ?  to  ?  .

Ugh i don't know why I am finding this so hard.. :/

so for y=sin(arcsinx) the domain and range are both -1 to -1.
is there a general rule to work with when dealing with composite trigonometric functions and their Domains and Ranges?

K so for y=arcsin(sinx) where you gave me the fill in the blanks. arcsin-1 = -pi/2 and arcsin 1 = pi/2 so therefore the range of this function would go from -pi/2 to pi/2? and the domain would then be -1 to 1? Sorry if i completely misread what you were trying to explain, I am just having the hardest time grasping this :/

oh wait wait.
i think i got it. after reading your posts again>
so the D and R of sin(arcsinx) are both -1 to 1
and the D and R of arcsin(sinx) are both -pi/2 to pi/2
is this correct?

Jet1045 said:
oh wait wait.
i think i got it. after reading your posts again>
so the D and R of sin(arcsinx) are both -1 to 1
Yes to this
and the D and R of arcsin(sinx) are both -pi/2 to pi/2
is this correct?
No to the domain of arcsin(sin(x)), but yes to the range.

What is sin(11π/4), for instance? This is defined, correct?

It's (√2)/2.

What is arcsin((√2)/2) ? It's π/4 .

sin(x) is defined for all real numbers.

1. What are inverse trig graphs?

Inverse trig graphs are graphs that show the inverse relationship between a given trigonometric function and its inverse function. In other words, the graph shows the relationship between an angle and the ratio of two sides of a right triangle.

2. What are the two most common inverse trig functions?

The two most common inverse trig functions are arcsine (sin-1) and arccosine (cos-1). These functions are the inverse of the sine and cosine functions, respectively.

3. What is the domain and range of inverse trig graphs?

The domain of inverse trig graphs is [-1,1] and the range is [-π/2,π/2] for arcsine and [0,π] for arccosine. This means that the input values must be between -1 and 1, and the output values will be between -π/2 and π/2 for arcsine and between 0 and π for arccosine.

4. How are inverse trig graphs different from regular trig graphs?

Inverse trig graphs are the mirror image of regular trig graphs. In regular trig graphs, the input values (angles) are on the x-axis and the output values (ratios) are on the y-axis. In inverse trig graphs, this is reversed, with the input values (ratios) on the x-axis and the output values (angles) on the y-axis.

5. What is the significance of inverse trig graphs in real life applications?

Inverse trig graphs are used in many real life applications that involve measuring angles and distances. For example, they are used in navigation and surveying to calculate the distance between two points or the angle of elevation or depression. They are also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving angles and forces.