Two masses connected by constant distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of modeling an interaction similar to the dual ships in the video game Space Duel, where two masses connected by a rigid connector move in a 2D space. One mass accelerates while the other is dragged, causing both to rotate around the midpoint of the connector. The question is how to model this using a spring connector and find the equations to program it. The conversation also includes a link to the original game and a description of the physics involved.
martyg
Hello, apologize if this is basic for some of you. Its been a while since I've taken physics and I'm looking to model an interaction similar to the dual ships in the classic video game Space Duel.

Basicly two masses connected by a rigid connector (constant distance). One mass (m1) does all the accellerating. The other (m2) gets dragged ( also effecting the ability of m1 to accellerate), causing both to rotate about each other at the midpoint of the connector (sort of like a bolas effect) while the entire mechanism (both masses and connector) move about the field. This is a 2D flat space.

I'm thinking a spring connector model (please correct me if I'm wrong) with 0 expansion or retraction, but am not sure how to go about modeling this. Any help would be appreciated.

Marty

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to find? Force is a vector quantity, could you please attach a diagram?

Hi KN, thanks for your time. I'm trying to find the equations to program the model I'm describing. Here's an example of the original game to see the ship behaviors I'm talking about that I'm trying to model (look at the 1 Player cooperative play):

http://games.atari.com/playgames/arcade/spaceduel/spaceduel_400.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know too much about computer programming so I'll try to simply explain what is going on from a physics standpoint. Assuming you have two identical boats attached by a perfectly ridgid rod of some type, then the force of boat 1 (the acceloration) will act in two ways. (1) it will act to accelerate the center of mass of the two boat system (which will be located at the center of the rod), (2) the force will provide a torque on the system, rotating it.

1. What is the concept of "Two masses connected by constant distance"?

The concept of "Two masses connected by constant distance" refers to a physical system where two masses are connected by a rigid object or a constraint that ensures that the distance between the two masses remains constant. This system is also known as a "rigid body".

2. What are some examples of "Two masses connected by constant distance"?

Some examples of "Two masses connected by constant distance" include a pair of weights connected by a string, two cars connected by a tow bar, and a person holding a dumbbell with two hands at a fixed distance.

3. How does the distance between the two masses affect the system?

The distance between the two masses has a direct impact on the system. It determines the magnitude of the forces acting on the two masses and the overall behavior of the system. If the distance is increased or decreased, the forces acting on the masses will change accordingly.

4. What is the role of Newton's Third Law in "Two masses connected by constant distance"?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of "Two masses connected by constant distance", this law is crucial as it ensures that the forces acting on the two masses are always equal and opposite, thus maintaining the constant distance between them.

5. How is the motion of the two masses affected by the constant distance constraint?

The constant distance constraint restricts the motion of the two masses to move only in certain ways. This constraint can result in different types of motion, such as rotation or translation, depending on the nature of the connection between the two masses. However, the constraint always ensures that the distance between the two masses remains constant.