Two masses under mutual attraction

In summary, the question is asking how much time it takes for two point masses to collide due to mutual gravitational attraction. The relevant equations are:F = \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^2} \mu = \frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}The force is varying with time, so an approach to solving the differential equation would not be successful. A better approach is to use a guess and try to find the general solution. The general solution for t = 0 is:t = Cx^4 +C_{1} where C is a constant. For the case where the
shakgoku
1.The question
Two point masses [tex]m_{1}[/tex] and [tex]m_{2}[/tex] are initially at rest. Distance between them is 'd'. How much time does it take for them to collide due to mutual gravitational attraction?2. Relavant Equations:
[tex]F = \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^2} \

\mu = \frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]Attempt at a solution:
3. force is varying with time. My first guess is to try to solve the differential equation
[tex]\mu \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = F(x) [/tex]
and tried to solve it for [tex]x(t)[/tex]
But , was not successful so far. There should be a better approach..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi shakgoku! :wink:

that should work …

show us how far you got :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi shakgoku! :wink:

that should work …

show us how far you got :smile:

Hello tiny tim! This is how I proceeded,

[tex] \mu \frac{d^2x}{dx^2} = - \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{x^2}
\\[/tex]

.[tex]
-\mu \frac{x^2}{Gm_{1}m_{2}} = \frac{d^2t}{dx^2}
\\ [/tex]

by guess general solution will be of the form,

[tex] t = Cx^4 +C_{1}
[/tex].

.[tex]
\frac{d^2t}{dx^2} = 12Cx^2 = -\mu \frac{x^2}{Gm_{1}m_{2}}
[/tex].

.[tex]

C = \frac{-\mu}{12Gm_{1}m_{2}}
\\
[/tex]

And at t = 0, x = d,

[tex]C_{1} = \frac{\mu d^4}{12Gm_{1}m_{2}}

[/tex]

..[tex]

t = \frac{\mu (d^4-x^4)}{12Gm_{1}m_{2}}
[/tex]

When the masses collide, d = 0,
using it I got,
[tex]t = \frac{d^4}{12G(m_{1}+m_{2})}\\*
[/tex]

I doubt if my 2nd step is wrong.

Last edited:
eugh! :yuck:

you've used d2t/dx2 = 1/(d2x/dt2),

but that's not true

d2t/dx2 = d(dt/dx)/dx = 1/(dx/d(dt/dx)), and that's about as far as you can go :redface:

instead, use d2x/dt2 = dv/dt = dv/dx dx/dt = v dv/dx :smile:

Thanks. I had doubts but
I just got carried away because its easy to solve after making that wrong step :D

I finally made the substitution you suggested and got an integral of form

[tex]A \int_{0}^{d} \sqrt{\frac{x}{d-x}} dx =t[/tex]

And I solved it to get

[tex] t = \frac{\pi d}{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2G(m_{1}+m_{2})d}}[/tex]

Which is the answer. I throughly liked it because, [tex]\pi[/tex] got involved even though point masses separated by a distance, Newton's gravitational law do not contain [tex] \pi[/tex]
:)

π gets everywhere! :biggrin:

:biggrin:
I get the same answer by considering,

[tex]F = -kx[/tex]

and using

[tex] k = \frac{dF}{dx} [/tex]

[tex] ==> k = \frac{2Gm_{1}m_{2}}{x^3} [/tex]

and

[tex]T = {2 \pi} \sqrt { \frac{\mu}{k}}[/tex]

At

[tex]\frac{T}{4}[/tex]

Collison occurs, so [tex] t = \frac{T}{4} = {\frac{\pi d}{2}}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2G(m_{1}+m_{2})d}}} [/tex] Which is same as the above answer. How does this approach work even though k is not a constant and this is not a simple harmonic motion?
Can I use this approach for any time varying force?

Last edited:
i think it's just a coincidence :confused:

What is the concept of "Two masses under mutual attraction"?

The concept of "Two masses under mutual attraction" refers to the gravitational force between two objects with mass. This force is always attractive and is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does the distance between two masses affect their mutual attraction?

The distance between two masses has a significant impact on their mutual attraction. As the distance increases, the force of attraction decreases. This is because the gravitational force follows an inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two masses?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two masses is F = G * (m1 * m2 / d^2), where F is the force of attraction, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

What is the difference between the gravitational force and the gravitational field?

The gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two masses, while the gravitational field is a representation of the force per unit mass at a specific point in space. The gravitational field can be thought of as the influence of one mass on the space around it, while the gravitational force is the actual interaction between two masses.

Can the gravitational force between two masses ever be completely eliminated?

No, the gravitational force between two masses can never be completely eliminated. As long as the two masses have mass and are not infinitely far apart, there will always be some force of attraction between them. However, the force can be significantly weakened by increasing the distance between the masses or decreasing their masses.