Two objects attached by pulleys

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary, the static friction points in the direction the object would move if there were no friction, so it would be down and to the right.
sona1177

Homework Statement

There are two objects attached by a pulled on a cline. please click the link to see the diagram.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1010976/24/MLD_2l_2_v2_2_a.jpg

if m2 weighed 2 kg and m1 weight 6 kg, which direction does the static friction point for m2? Does it point up and to the left or down and to the right. I said down and to the right because without friction, the pulley would pull it up, so since static friction points in the direction the object would move if there were no friction, then it would be down and to the right. I am so confused. someone help. I can figure the whole problem i have here but i just don't know which direction the static friction points which messes up my freebody diagram, which in turn messes up the signs in the equations, which in turn messes up the answer. Please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is okay. What if the static friction points up and to the left? :smile:

hikaru1221 said:
Your reasoning is okay. What if the static friction points up and to the left? :smile:

Then wouldn't the object just move? But is my answer correct, that the object moves down and to the right? Please don't mess with my mind! :) This concept was messing with my head for 3 hours before i chose to come here.

If the friction "helps" the object move, is it "friction" anymore? :smile:
You're correct. I just ask some more to bolster your confidence. Hope this help :smile:

hikaru1221 said:
If the friction "helps" the object move, is it "friction" anymore? :smile:
You're correct. I just ask some more to bolster your confidence. Hope this help :smile:

Thank you! Right, I said the object would just move if static friction acted up and to the left. so its not friction anymore :) Thanks again.

Uhm... I'm not sure if you got what I meant or not. Okay, make it a bit harder :biggrin:
What if m1=2kg and m2=6kg?

In this case, m2=6 and m1=2, static friction points up and to the left because without friction, the pulley would pull it down and to the right.

You correctly pointed out one case :smile: but you missed a case :frown:. In the extreme scenario when the plane is horizontal, m2 is pulled to the left and thus, friction points to the right, correct? The angle between the plane and the horizontal direction must be taken into account. If m2=2.001kg which is very close to m1, you can get the image of this situation, can't you?

The main point I'm trying to point out is that when m2 seems to move to the left, friction acts to the right, and when m2 seems to move to the right, friction acts to the left. That's why I asked "If the friction "helps" the object move, is it "friction" anymore?". When the mass tends to move in some direction, friction always acts in the opposite direction. This might be helpful to you in more complicated problems. But if you find it totally a mess, then forget it; you may come up with it some day :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Two objects attached by pulleys

What is the principle behind two objects attached by pulleys?

The principle behind two objects attached by pulleys is the conservation of energy. The pulley system allows for the transfer of force and energy between the two objects, while also reducing the amount of force needed to move the objects.

How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of the system?

The more pulleys used in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage. This means that the force required to move the objects will be reduced even further. However, using more pulleys also increases the distance that the rope or cable must travel, which can cause some energy loss.

What are the types of pulleys commonly used in two-object systems?

The two most common types of pulleys used in two-object systems are the fixed pulley and the movable pulley. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley is attached to one of the objects being moved and provides a mechanical advantage.

What factors should be considered when designing a two-object pulley system?

Some factors to consider when designing a two-object pulley system include the weight and mass of the objects, the distance they need to be moved, the amount of force available, and the number and type of pulleys to be used. Additionally, any friction or energy loss in the system should also be taken into account.

How is the velocity of the objects affected in a two-object pulley system?

The velocity of the objects will depend on the amount of force applied and the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. If a greater force is applied, the objects will move faster. However, using more pulleys also increases the distance the rope or cable must travel, which can decrease the overall velocity of the objects.