Two objects, position-time graph

In summary, two objects are thrown from a vertical tower with an initial speed in opposite directions, falling to the ground at the base of the tower. The position-time graph for the objects would be parabolic, with the difference in height between the two objects being linear. The equation for the motion is y = y_0 \pm v_0 t - (g/2) t^2, and the difference in time between the first object hitting the ground and the second can be calculated using the given variables.
heartofaragorn

Homework Statement

At t = 0, two objects are thrown from a vertical tower of height H (in m) with an initial speed of v initial (in m/s) in opposite directions (one upwards and one downwards) so that the objects fall to the ground at the base of tower. Ignore the effects of air resistance.

Sketch on the position-time graph below the function s = y up - y down where y up represents the object thrown upward, and y down represents the object thrown downward.

Calculate the difference delta t between the first object hitting the ground and the second.

Homework Equations

y - y initial = +/- v initial x t +1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my professor about the graph, and he mentioned that the lines should be linear using the equation above, but I'm still confused as to how the graph should look. Also, he said to calculate delta t by using H and other variables listed, but again, I'm just not sure how to accomplish this. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
heartofaragorn said:

Homework Equations

y - y initial = +/- v initial x t +1/2
That equation is not quite right--the motion is accelerated. Try this:
[tex]y = y_0 \pm v_0 t - (g/2) t^2[/tex]

where the + is for the object thrown up; the -, for the one thrown down.

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my professor about the graph, and he mentioned that the lines should be linear using the equation above, but I'm still confused as to how the graph should look.
The graphs would not be linear, but parabolic. (The difference in height between the two objects would be linear.)

Thanks for the help!

1. What is a position-time graph?

A position-time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's position and time. The horizontal axis represents time, while the vertical axis represents position or displacement. The slope of the graph indicates the object's velocity, and the curvature of the graph shows the object's acceleration.

2. How do you interpret a position-time graph?

To interpret a position-time graph, you can look at the slope of the line, which indicates the object's velocity. A steeper slope means a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower velocity. The curvature of the graph can also show the object's acceleration. A curved line means the object is accelerating, while a straight line means the object is moving at a constant velocity.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative slope on a position-time graph?

A positive slope on a position-time graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction (usually to the right) and has a positive velocity. A negative slope means the object is moving in the negative direction (usually to the left) and has a negative velocity. A horizontal line with a slope of zero means the object is not moving.

4. How can you determine an object's displacement from a position-time graph?

To determine an object's displacement from a position-time graph, you can look at the vertical distance between the starting point and the ending point on the graph. This distance represents the object's displacement, which is the change in position from the beginning to the end of the time interval.

5. Can you calculate an object's speed from a position-time graph?

Yes, you can calculate an object's speed by finding the slope of the line on a position-time graph. The slope is equal to the object's velocity, which is the rate at which the object is changing its position over time. However, if the graph is curved, the speed will vary at different points on the graph, and you will need to use calculus to find the instantaneous speed at a specific time.