Solving Two Physics Questions: Units of Velocity and Acceleration Equations

• Thread starter MoreZitiPlease
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the unit of velocity is the distance traveled per unit of time. The correct answer for the first question is B, as it is the only option that does not ultimately decompose into this unit. For the second question, the correct equation to find acceleration is C, as it includes both distance and time, and can be rearranged to solve for acceleration.
MoreZitiPlease

Homework Statement

Which of the following is not a unit of velocity?
A) m/s C) km/ms
B) m/N D) mm/ms

If an object starts from rest and travels a distance d in t sec, which of the following equations may be used to find its acceleration?
A) Vf = Vi + at C) d = Vi t + ½ at2
B) Vf2 = Vi2 +2ad D) d = ½ (Vf + Vi) t

Homework Equations

In problems

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for #1 I am going or answer B because I have never seen that before.

FOr the 2nd one, I amgoing to go with A.

AmI right?

Physics news on Phys.org
MoreZitiPlease said:

Homework Statement

Which of the following is not a unit of velocity?
A) m/s C) km/ms
B) m/N D) mm/ms

Only A is a unit of velocity.

If an object starts from rest and travels a distance d in t sec, which of the following equations may be used to find its acceleration?

C

MoreZitiPlease said:
Ok, for #1 I am going or answer B because I have never seen that before.

FOr the 2nd one, I amgoing to go with A.

AmI right?

Use some logic.

1. Velocity has dimension of distance/time. Which of them does not ultimately decompose into that?

2. Choice A doesn't even have 'd' in it. Which one has d and t and the initial velocity?

kilometers per millisecond and mmillimeters per millisecond may be very unusual units of velocity (more properly speed since direction is unstated) but they are units of speed.

Shooting star said:
Use some logic.

1. Velocity has dimension of distance/time. Which of them does not ultimately decompose into that?

2. Choice A doesn't even have 'd' in it. Which one has d and t and the initial velocity?
Damn, I am sorry.

Um

So #1 is B

and # 2 is C

?

That's more like it!

MoreZitiPlease said:

C. Using one of the three laws of projectile motion.

It obviously can't be A as it doesn't have Distance in it. It can't be B because that doesn't have time in it and D doesn't even hold acceleration.

Therefore C is the right answer you would just need to re-arrange the equation to get a as a subject.

Related to Solving Two Physics Questions: Units of Velocity and Acceleration Equations

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics is based on the laws of motion and gravity proposed by Isaac Newton, while quantum physics describes the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level. Classical physics is used to explain the macroscopic world, while quantum physics is needed to understand the microscopic world.

2. Why is the speed of light considered to be the maximum speed in the universe?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest that any particle or information can travel. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

3. Can time travel be possible according to the laws of physics?

The concept of time travel is a subject of much debate among physicists. According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. While it is theoretically possible to travel forward in time, traveling back in time would require bending the laws of physics, which is currently not possible to achieve.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is the language of physics and is used to describe and understand the laws and principles of the universe. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations based on experimental data and theories, and has been crucial in the advancement of our understanding of the physical world.

5. How are theories and laws different in physics?

In physics, a theory is an explanation of a phenomenon or set of phenomena that is supported by extensive experimental evidence and mathematical models. A law, on the other hand, is a statement that describes a fundamental principle or relationship between physical quantities, based on empirical observations. Laws are considered more precise and applicable in a wider range of situations, while theories are subject to further testing and refinement.