What is the Length of a Rope When Two Pipes are Tied Together?

• Thread starter Icelove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipes
In summary, the problem is to find the length of a rope where two pipes are tied together tightly. The solution is to calculate the circumference of both circles, and then subtract the length of the arc.
Icelove

Homework Statement

The problem is pretty long but it is easy except one part where I need to calculate the length of a rope where 2 pipes are tied together tightly. We can reduce this to 2 dimensions so I drew a rough sketch of it. I didn't quite succeed with the the perfect drawing but you get the idea.

Here's the sketch
__alright.PNG

So the informations we are given that the diameter of the bigger pipe's is 90cm, the smaller one's is 30cm.

Homework Equations

i = r*a(rad)
K = 2*r*pi

The total cc of the big circle is:~282.7cm ,and the smaller one is: ~94.2 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried with Pythagoras' theorem but I realized with this kind of calculation, I get an approximation and not real solution.

I then figured that I have to calculate the circumference of both circles then substract the length of the arc. Then I still have to find the distance between the two circles connected by the bridges.

Since we only have the information of the radiuses I was thinking that we have to find a ratio between the circles and then can get the arc. I tried simplify it by creating 2 equal sized circles then shrinking one of them, but I got confused and couldn't get my ratios.

So forum, can you lead me to success?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Icelove! :smile:

The straight parts will be the common tangents of the two circles, so draw the two radii: you know their lengths, and the distance between the centres, and you know that the tangent is perpendicular to the radii …

from that, you can find the length of the tangent, and the angle between the radii and the line through the centres. :wink:

tiny-tim, you are opening my math eye. I love you, thanks AGAIN. :)

FAQ: What is the Length of a Rope When Two Pipes are Tied Together?

1. How do you tie two pipes together?

To tie two pipes together, you will need a pipe coupling or a pipe connector. These are fittings that are designed to connect two pipes together securely. Simply slide the coupling or connector onto one end of the first pipe, then slide the other end onto the second pipe. Make sure to tighten any screws or clamps to ensure a tight seal.

2. Can any type of pipe be tied together?

Yes, as long as the pipes have the same diameter and are made of compatible materials, they can be tied together. This includes metal, PVC, copper, and other types of pipes. It is important to note that different types of pipes may require different types of couplings or connectors.

3. What is the purpose of tying two pipes together?

Tying two pipes together allows for the extension or connection of a plumbing or irrigation system. It can also be used to repair a broken or damaged pipe. By connecting two pipes, the flow of water or other substances can be redirected or increased.

4. What is the difference between a pipe coupling and a pipe connector?

A pipe coupling is a fitting that connects two pipes end-to-end, while a pipe connector is a fitting that connects two pipes at an angle. Couplings are typically used for straight connections, while connectors are used for changes in direction or joining pipes at different angles.

5. How can I ensure a secure connection when tying two pipes together?

To ensure a secure connection when tying two pipes together, make sure to use the appropriate coupling or connector for the type of pipes being connected. Tighten any screws or clamps according to the manufacturer's instructions. It may also be helpful to use a sealant or plumber's tape to prevent leaks.

Back