Two point boundary value problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the general solution to a given boundary value problem, using the characteristic equation and variation of parameters. The final answer is supposed to be y = c1 cos 2x + 1/3 cos x, but the individual points given do not match this solution. Upon further inspection and integration, the error is found and resolved.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

Solve the given boundary value problem or else show that it has no solutions: y'' + 4y = cos x, y'(0) = 0, y'(pi) = 0.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I made it all the way through the problem I think, but I am not getting the correct answer and was wondering if anyone else could spot the error in my work.

So first thing I did was find the characteristic equation: r^2 + 4 = 0.
I solved this for my eigen values and got r = + or - 2i.
That means my general solution is y = c1 cos 2x + c2 sin 2x.

So now I use variation of parimeters: [tex]\bar{y}[/tex] = v1 cos 2x + v2 sin 2x
Taking the derivative, I get that [tex]\bar{y}[/tex]' = v1' cos 2x - 2v1 sin 2x + v2' sin 2x - 2v2 cos 2x.
We know that v1' cos 2x + v2' sin 2x= 0.
This simplies [tex]\bar{y}[/tex]' = 2v2 cos 2x - 2v1 sin 2x
So if we take the second derivative, [tex]\bar{y}[/tex]'' = 2v2' cos 2x - 4v2 sin 2x - 2v1' sin 2x- 4v1 cos 2x.

Now that we have both [tex]\bar{y}[/tex]'' and [tex]\bar{y}[/tex], we can plug this into our original differential equation and get:
(2v2' cos 2x - 4v2 sin 2x - 2v1' sin 2x - 4v1 cos 2x) + 4(v1 cos 2x + v2 sin 2x) = cos x.

Now we have a system of two equations:
v1' cos 2x + v2' sin 2x = 0
-2v1' sin 2x + 2v2' cos 2x = cos x

If we multiply the first equation the by 2 sin 2x and the second equation by cos 2x and add them together, we get:
2v2' = cos x cos 2x.
Therefore, v2' = cos x cos 2x / 2

Plugging this value of v2' into the first equation, we get:
v1' cos 2x + cos x sin 2x / 2 = 0.
This gives us that v1' = -cos x sin 2x / 2 .

Now we integrate both v1' and v2' to solve for v1 and v2 and we get:
v2 = (sin x / 2) - (sin x)^3/3...I did the integral by using the trig identity cos 2x = 1 - (sin x)^2
v1 = (cos x)^3/3...I did the integral by using the trig identity sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x

Now, I plugged my v1 and v2 into [tex]\bar{y}[/tex] = v1 cos 2x + v2 sin 2x and got:
[tex]\bar{y}[/tex] = ((cos x)^3/3)(cos 2x) + ((sin x /2) - ((sin x)^3/3)))(sin 2x).

So now my general solution became y = c1 cos 2x + c2 sin 2x + ((cos x)^3/3)(cos 2x) + (sin x /2)(sin 2x) - ((sin x)^3/3))(sin 2x).

Since the two points I was given were for y', I took the derivative of the above expression and then plugged in my two points. Yet, when I put these points into the equation seperately, I should get two equations in terms of c1 and c2. However, I for both points, I got that 2c2 = 0 aka c2 = 0.

The final answer is supposed to be y = c1 cos 2x + 1/3 cos x.
I see how the y = c1 cos 2x comes into play and why there is no c2, however I don't get why I don't have the 1/3 cos x part...I don't think my ((cos x)^3/3)(cos 2x) + (sin x /2)(sin 2x) - ((sin x)^3/3))(sin 2x) simplies to that so I am guessing that I made a mistake somewhere.

Help please. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I got it and I don't know how to delete a post.
Thanks.

What is a two point boundary value problem?

A two point boundary value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation subject to specified boundary conditions at two different points. It is different from other boundary value problems because it requires the solution to satisfy the boundary conditions at both points, rather than just one.

What are some examples of two point boundary value problems?

Examples of two point boundary value problems include the heat equation, the wave equation, and the Schrödinger equation. In these cases, the boundary conditions are typically given in terms of the temperature, displacement, or wave function at the two points.

How are two point boundary value problems solved?

Two point boundary value problems are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the problem into a finite number of points and then solving for the values at each point using iterative algorithms.

What is the importance of two point boundary value problems?

Two point boundary value problems are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they allow us to model and understand physical phenomena that are governed by differential equations. They also provide a powerful tool for solving problems that cannot be solved analytically.

Are there any limitations to solving two point boundary value problems?

One limitation of solving two point boundary value problems is that the numerical methods used can introduce errors and may not provide an exact solution. Additionally, some problems may have complex or non-uniform boundary conditions that are difficult to model and solve accurately.