Design a 15 dB Symmetrical Attenuator with 600Ω Characteristic Impedance

In summary, the homework statement asks for a ∏ section symmetrical attenuator that provides a voltage attenuation of 15 dB and a characteristic impedance of 600 Ω. The equations for designing the attenuator are as follows: ZS = ZL = Z, R1 = R3 = Z (K + 1/K-1), and R2 = Z (K2-1/2K). The attenuator is supposed to provide a voltage attenuation of 15 dB and a characteristic impedance of 600 Ω.
agata78
[/SUB]

Homework Statement

Design a ∏ section symmetrical attenuator to provide a voltage attenuation of 15 dB and a characteristic impedance of 600 Ω.

Homework Equations

ZS = ZL = Z

R1 = R3 = Z (K + 1 / K -1)

R2 = Z (K2 - 1 / 2 K)

The Attempt at a Solution

Z = 600Ω
K = 15dB = 15(15/20) = 5.6234

R1 = R3 = 600 (5.6234 + 1 / 5.6234 - 1)

= 859.54 ΩR2 = 600 (5.62342 - 1 / 2 x 5.6234)

= 600 (30.6226 / 11.2468)

= 1633.67 Ω

Can someone please confirm if I am on the right lines? Thanks

Attachments

• P2.2(a).png
    P2.2(a).png
    9.9 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not what I got. I don't know where you got your formulas. I just wrote a set of equations to force Zin = 600 ohms from both sides, and an attenuation of 15 dB = gain of 0.1778. My R1 was not too much below yours but my R2 was exactly double yours. Interesting coincidence!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the problem asks for. My pi network looks like 600 ohms from both directions and the attenuation is 15 dB. I'm not assuming a source nor a load impedance.

Hi, when talking about current or voltage, it is db = 20log(ratio).

If you are taking the ratio of powers, then it is dB = 10log(ratio).

We are using first one, which gives us 15db= 20 log (n),

10 (15/20) = n

10 ( 3/4) = n

4√ 10 (3) = 5.6234 = k

I have found similar example but still want to get confirmation is it right or not

agata78 said:
Hi, when talking about current or voltage, it is db = 20log(ratio).

If you are taking the ratio of powers, then it is dB = 10log(ratio).

We are using first one, which gives us 15db= 20 log (n),

10 (15/20) = n

10 ( 3/4) = n

4√ 10 (3) = 5.6234 = k

EDIT: I think I misinterpreted the meaning of "characteristic impedance". Aparently it includes the load.

Use this:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/Pi-pad-attenuator.html

I have found similar example but still want to get confirmation is it right or not

If it's attenuation, it's -15dB, not 15 dB, which is 10^(-15/20) = 01778 = k.

Last edited:
I know that attenuation means the reduction of signal strength during transmission. But how you can tell its with this example?
Your calculations would be right, but i don't know why is minus there.

Thanks but it is actually the same example that I was using, but I still can't find a minus there in that example!

Last edited:
agata78 said:
Thanks but it is actually the same example that I was using, but I still can't find a minus there in that example!

If you go by the link, attenuation is considered a positive quantity.

Follow their example.

1. What is a two-port network model?

A two-port network model is a mathematical representation of a circuit or system that has two input and two output ports. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical networks, such as amplifiers, filters, and transmission lines.

2. How is a two-port network model different from a one-port model?

A one-port model only considers the behavior of a circuit or system at one input and one output port, while a two-port model takes into account the interactions between the two input and two output ports. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the network's performance.

3. What are the parameters used in a two-port network model?

The four main parameters used in a two-port network model are the input impedance, output impedance, transmission coefficient, and reverse transmission coefficient. These parameters describe the relationship between the input and output voltages and currents of the network.

4. How is a two-port network model used in circuit design?

A two-port network model can be used in circuit design to predict the behavior of a circuit and optimize its performance. It can also be used to troubleshoot and analyze the effects of different components on the overall circuit.

5. Can a two-port network model be used for both linear and nonlinear circuits?

Yes, a two-port network model can be used for both linear and nonlinear circuits. In linear circuits, the parameters of the model remain constant, while in nonlinear circuits, they may vary with the input signal. However, the basic principles and equations used in the model remain the same.