Two Toilet Papers dropping-Rotational Inertia

In summary: Now, how can you simplify the expression within the parenthesis?In summary, the problem is to find the height at which two fresh rolls of toilet paper, one allowed to unravel while falling and the other dropped on its own, will hit the ground at the same time. The relevant equations are the rotation inertia for toilet papers and the conservation of energy. After some calculations, the linear accelerations for the two rolls are (2/3)((g*R^2)/(R^2+R2^2)) and g, respectively. To determine the relationship between the heights at which they must be dropped from, the equation 2gR^2 = (R^2+R2^2+2R^2) a can
CentrifugalKing

Homework Statement

Okay, so I'm supposed to take two fresh rolls of toilet paper and drop them. One of which, I am supposed to let unravel while falling. The other, I just drop on its own. I'm supposed to find the height at which both will drop and hit the ground at the same time.

Homework Equations

Rotation Inertia for Toilet Papers: I= M (R-R2)^2

Conservation of Energy: KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that

KE1= 0 and PE2 = 0

So

PE1 = KE2

mgh = (1/2) Iw^2 + (1/2)Mv^2

Okay... this was all I wrote. At this point I realized, that I did not know the difference between the two.

What would make the unraveling toilet paper any different from the one that falls?

Physics news on Phys.org
CentrifugalKing said:
What would make the unraveling toilet paper any different from the one that falls?
For one thing, the final PE of the unraveling toilet paper will not be zero. It stretches out as it unravels.

Oh so it will be

mgh= (1/2)(M)(Rf)((v^2)/(Rf^2)) +Mv^2 + PE?

So what would PE equal? Would the mass change to just one sheet of paper rather than the whole roll?

Or should I also set up Newton's 2nd Law?

CentrifugalKing said:
Or should I also set up Newton's 2nd Law?
That's what I would do. See if you can compare the accelerations.

Hate to bump this up again, but I've gotten pretty far but got jumbled on one part.

So I did net torque = I(alpha)

And did some substitution

mg*R = (((1/2)(M) (R^2+R2^2) + MR^2))) (a/R)

Thing is, would

R^2+R2^2 be the same as the other R's?

Sorry if I'm not being clear. But how would the formula play out? I know M cancels.

CentrifugalKing said:
Hate to bump this up again, but I've gotten pretty far but got jumbled on one part.

So I did net torque = I(alpha)

And did some substitution

mg*R = (((1/2)(M) (R^2+R2^2) + MR^2))) (a/R)
This looks good. Note: R is the outer radius; R2 is the inner radius.

CentrifugalKing said:
Thing is, would

R^2+R2^2 be the same as the other R's?
Not sure what you mean. See my comment above.

The linear acceleration will be in terms of both R and R2.

@Doc Al

Thanks for all your help, and I think I got it.

After a bit of Algebra:

(2/3)((g*R^2)/(R^2+R2^2))=a

And the other a=g

Is that all I can do?

And then compare it?

CentrifugalKing said:
After a bit of Algebra:

(2/3)((g*R^2)/(R^2+R2^2))=a
I get something slightly different, so double check your algebra.

CentrifugalKing said:
And the other a=g

Is that all I can do?

And then compare it?
Once you have the two accelerations, figure out how the heights they must be dropped from have to relate for them to fall in the same time. (Hint: for a given distance, solve for the time to reach the ground.)

Oh,

So I did a bit.

Is this correct?

I brought the R from a/R to the other side.
I wanted to cancel the 1/2 so I multiplied everything by 2.

2gR^2 = (R^2+R2^2+2R^2) a?

Oh I see my mistake! So this is right?

Attachments

• 20151202_132851.jpg
    20151202_132851.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 443
CentrifugalKing said:
Oh,

So I did a bit.

Is this correct?

I brought the R from a/R to the other side.
I wanted to cancel the 1/2 so I multiplied everything by 2.

2gR^2 = (R^2+R2^2+2R^2) a?
This looks better. But simplify the expression within the parenthesis a bit--combine terms.

CentrifugalKing said:
Oh I see my mistake! So this is right?
Looks good.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation.

2. How does rotational inertia relate to two toilet papers dropping?

When two toilet papers are dropped, they experience rotational motion as they fall towards the ground. The rotational inertia of the toilet papers determines how easily they can rotate and the orientation in which they land on the ground.

3. What factors affect the rotational inertia of the toilet papers?

The rotational inertia of the toilet papers is affected by their mass, the distribution of their mass, and the distance between their axis of rotation and their center of mass.

4. How does the rotational inertia of two toilet papers compare to that of one toilet paper?

The rotational inertia of two toilet papers is greater than that of one toilet paper. This is because there is more mass and a greater distribution of mass when two toilet papers are dropped together, leading to a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion.

5. Why is understanding rotational inertia important for scientists?

Understanding rotational inertia is important for scientists because it helps them predict and explain the behavior of objects in rotational motion. It is also a key concept in fields such as physics and engineering, where knowledge of rotational inertia is necessary for designing and analyzing mechanisms and structures.